Game Industry: Pay Well or Not?!

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 pm

IndieKiwi wrote:
Aurora Australis wrote:That guy "unofficially" hacked the ratings system to get the initial high ratings, so I'm not sure he's the best example to use.
Yes there are individuals who do well. But they're the rare exceptions. IF you're talking career advice, gaming is low ROT. If not career advice, then the question is, what are you actively going to do to make yourself different and better than the 10 million others seeking the same thing? Because hope doesn't cut it.

Yeah i didn't know he manipulated the score. Can you explain more or show some sources please?
Just found https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7220603 but it is just some discussion and the replies don't think he did it...

Sorry, he wasn't important enough to bother keeping links to that info.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 pm

As far as the indie side, it's about the same as making an app that you need a bit of luck to get attention for your work.

I remember sending out resumes to numerous game companies, back between '08-'11 few of them emailed back and those were rejections. Pay can be great, but the turnover is very high, even moreso for AA - AAA. There is hardly any job security unless you work the non-game related stuff like PR, Marketing, Producer, etc.

Indie there's more freedom, but you have to make the right game at the right time and get noticed very well. Flappy Bird's success was due to PewDiePie playing it (moreso his fans jumping on the bandwagon)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 am

Good programmers are always in demand and do make very good money. Obviously, it's not easy to become a *good* programmer.

Regarding Flappy Bird, we shouldn't fool ourselves: I'm afraid we have more chances of getting that kind of success by buying a lottery ticket. We should develop games because it's fun and, if we build a polished portfolio, something good may actually happen but we shouldn't start thinking "if I become a programmer I earn $X, if I become a designer I'll get $Y, now I make the next Flappy Thing and earn $XXYY" and so on: this thinking will lead us nowhere.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 am

@Roberto I like your advice

proper mindset on developing a game by doing it for fun and not just to earn bucks is a best motivation :)
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:40 am

You are the one who negotiates your price.
If you are good at what you are doing and someone really wants you and your skills, you definitely have the right too push, push, push!

It´s like in every other job...you have to market yourself...the better you do the higher can your price be...the better you get paid hopefully.
https://www.helmade.com
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas