Game Maker goes HTML5

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey folks, check this out:

http://glog.yoyogames.com/?p=2976

Looks like YoYo Games are coming after us with their own HTML5 exporter! Interesting. Well, I say bring it on, it'll only get us working harder to make something better :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:54 pm

Well they don't have a Linux GUI...yet another thing you could trump all the others with, given that the way Construct is done is far better than all the others.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:55 pm

Interesting, i am guessing this has been in development for a while also so i wonder if they plan on doing any more formats also. I guess as soon as the big HTML5 hype thing started a while back all the game development programs probably started making HTML5 exporters.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Sandy said in the comments:

[quote:2r7lgxkb]We started work on this less than two weeks ago[/quote:2r7lgxkb]

Interesting! That would be approximately one week after the Construct 2 public preview started :)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:05 pm

it probably really is in response to c2. Gamemaker has to know about us by now.

They don't stand a chance though. not to be mean, but this is [u:108gp0pm]scirra[/u:108gp0pm] we're talking about...that would be like a bunch of kids making a fort in their backyard out of blankets and tree branches, so they could go up against NATO.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:06 pm

[quote="lucid":9ugakbci]it probably really is in response to c2. Gamemaker has to know about us by now.

They don't stand a chance though. not to be mean, but this is [u:9ugakbci]scirra[/u:9ugakbci] we're talking about...that would be like a bunch of kids making a fort in their backyard out of blankets and tree branches, so they could go up against NATO.[/quote:9ugakbci]
That reminds me, I need to study for my history test now :?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

I have mixed feelings when it comes to html5.The games are slow and almost unplayable.I will stick to Macromedia flash if i want to create web browser games.Ive been playing around with game maker 8.0 pro now and i must say it's quite good.Game maker 8.0 pro also has the powerful GmOgre 3d plugin which i still need to see in CS.I love all these click&create progs ,they make life a little easier for creating small but fun games.

Both CS2 and GM has thier plus and minus points , So i cannot say which is better at the moment.Yes CS2 and CS are remarkable apps,But if you have both GM and CS then you can do so much more.

Im not a Pro Game Maker user,I think it's silly to compare two very different apps.And seeing the positive response i got on thier forum's about Construct . It's unfair to diss thier app.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:45 pm

[quote="DravenX":3frhor30]
Both CS2 and GM has thier plus and minus points , So i cannot say which is better at the moment.Yes CS2 and CS are remarkable apps,But if you have both GM and CS then you can do so much more.

Im not a Pro Game Maker user,I think it's silly to compare two very different apps.And seeing the positive response i got on thier forum's about Construct . It's unfair to diss thier app.[/quote:3frhor30]
i was just having a little fun, and cheerleading for my winning team. also, although I haven't tried gm8, I owned gm7. I disagree with most of what you said. GM was extremely slow, and useless without scripting, and I also think they are not very different apps. They are meant to do the same thing. Just one is much better at it. I don't want to derail the thread. but just my 2 cents
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

They are two very different apps doing the same thing.I meant different in the way the events etc.. works.But im happy if both are using HTML5 ,That means that i get to have more fun in creating games on the two apps for my phone.It seems that every click&create program is moving towards HTML5 because that's just the way it is.

I will stick to CS for now.Only because it's so damn addictive and a joy to work with.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Cheering-on is cool and all, but I think it'd be wise to consider that until we have more users than them (and they have a lot of users), they're probably doing something better than us.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic