Game Maker vs. Construct 2

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 am

First off, I hope this thread is allowed. I will not be asking people to fund a Game Maker made game this time, which got my last thread deleted, which I am okay with.

Second, this is not a blank, inflammatory comparison of Game Maker to Construct 2. I started making a Game Maker game and am converting it to Construct 2, because I can't afford the $200 Android exporter for Game Maker. So, to save $200, I am once again using Construct 2, and I will tell you my experiences.

First off, I have personally benchmarked Game Maker and Construct 2, in a many-objects test of my own. Game Maker handles loads of objects 33% faster according to my own benchmark. However, what matters more when making a game is your methods. If you can't optimize, no engine is going to save you.

Okay so Game Maker makes it easy to draw duplicates of an image to create reflections, using Image Alpha and overlaying it. I could not find how to do this easily and automatically in Construct 2, so to create the same effect, I am using Glow Shaders. So because of my methods and lazyness, not the engine itself, my game runs faster in Game Maker, because it's not using so many shaders.

Game Maker files end up being half the filesize of Construct 2 files, due to the way Construct 2 needs 3 formats of a sound including WAV while Game Maker doesn't.

Whether you want to use Game Maker is also a question of whether you want to write 5 lines of code (Game Maker), or create a detailed event (Construct 2) to perform an action.

I'm not going to even say what my preference is. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:55 am

I don't really know what you're trying to achieve through this topic.
You admit yourself that you don't really know how to work with C2 mostly out of laziness.

For your example about image reflection, wouldn't simply making a new instance of your sprite and changing its opacity's property value achieve the effect you're looking for ?
And this wouldn't impact the performance in the end.

Also, your point about filesize does not apply on export, since when exporting to a specific platform, the sounds which aren't supported aren't exported. (For example no wav/m4a on a platform that supports ogg "only").

Maybe your facts are not that straight in the end and you should probably explore more the current version of C2 and try to follow the best practices/performance tips.

There's no problem trying to compare both softwares as this can be constructive in the end, but as a "beginner", you're maybe not in the best spot to make such a comparison.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:19 am

The only reason for this post is to get yourself alienated from this software too?

Are you behind on a project and needing someone to blame, thus you hope to get thrown out?

I can't find any other meaning.

If you write something that takes 5 events, I bet you can ask in the forum, and get at least 3 ways to do it shorter. Many times in 1 event.
And by the sound of your demo, perhaps no events at all.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:39 am

This thread has taken an interesting turn. I tell my opinion on converting a Game Maker game to Construct 2 and the like, get called a beginner, and have someone asking about me getting alienated from this software when I think he misunderstood to begin with.

The reason why I'm lazy is because I'm converting a pretty big game over. If I ever do focus on that 1% that needs improved, it will be once I focus on the other 99%. Do I expect anyone to understand? Not really. Especially since they mistook GML code for Construct 2 events.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:52 am

Duplicate the object, rotate by 180, mirror it and pin to original object.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:30 am

Was that comparing c2 to game maker's HTML 5 or native export?

Aside from that, I'm afraid I don't understand the point of this thread either.

Comparing GML and c2 events is like comparing apples and oranges, some things might require less lines of code in either (for example, in c2, pathfinding requires barely any code at all).

You say the game runs better in game maker because you don't feel like coding it properly in construct? You'd have the same problem in game maker if you didn't code it right there, too. Shaders are quite intensive, of course they're going to require more work from the computer than just using another sprite for a reflection.

If you're putting in the effort to port a large game over, which you knew would be a large task, why are you not willing to put in a little more effort to fix something important that causes a performance hit? Sometimes the stuff in the "1%" is too important to skip. Also, not putting in the effort to design your code properly from the start can sometimes cause you to end up doing more work in the long run fixing your mistakes.

Also, where did someone confuse GML for c2 events? Apparently no one in this thread...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:51 am

I have GMS as well as C2 and I would be very interested to see the files you used for comparison.

Just from little testing I've done, I found I can create the GMS demos in C2 in a ridiculously short time, whereas anything of note in GMS needs to be done in GML.

But, as everyone else has noted, to get the best out of either - or any software really - takes time, effort and a lot of practice.

If you're getting disheartened, then do small prototypes of the problems and post them for others to possibly help.

Never hurts to ask for help.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:03 am

However, what matters more when making a game is your methods. If you can't optimize, no engine is going to save you..... So because of my methods and lazyness, not the engine itself, my game runs faster in Game Maker

Unfortunately, you invalidate your own 'comparison' post here.

If you put a similar effort into both, then you would have a fair & honest comparison.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:18 am

I have pretty much all the game making engines and I now spend most of my development time for html5 games using construct2. I can do more, and do it more quickly using construct2.

It has taken me a number of months to learn the software (still learning) and what took 1000's of events can now be done in 100's - that is called acquired knowledge.

I preferred GM because I spent so much time with it, but now that veiw has changed and I favor C2 now.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:40 pm

DUTOIT wrote:I have pretty much all the game making engines and I now spend most of my development time for html5 games using construct2. I can do more, and do it more quickly using construct2.

It has taken me a number of months to learn the software (still learning) and what took 1000's of events can now be done in 100's - that is called acquired knowledge.

I preferred GM because I spent so much time with it, but now that veiw has changed and I favor C2 now.

Yeah. Same here buddy. Made a lot of prototypes, first in GF, then discovered C1, but even still when moved in to C2 it took me several more prototypes to really feel confident with what I was doing. Same goes for everything else really.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas