game-play or looks?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:55 pm

While, I am inclined to say "game-play uber alles", I am more with Smitchell your game doesn't need to be realistic or beautifully rendered, but it does need a strong, cohesive STYLE, and looks are a part of that, your user interfaces with the appearance before they ever get to the puzzles.

But style applies to more than just looks.

gameplay style (difficulty, "genre", mechanics, perma-death)
visual style (8-bit, photo realism, cel-shaded etc.)
audio style (bit-crush, orchestral, ambient)
narrative style (text boxes, NPC's, omniscient narration, cutscenes)

It's not one or the other...all these (and more that I probably don't even know myself yet) are necessary, you just need to balance them for the games you want to make to control the experience. It's like a 4-way yin-yang...like a gameplay orgy 4-some where you determine who's on top. lulz.

B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 pm

Protip: "gameplay" includes graphics, unless you can't see the screen. What you mean is graphics vs mechanics, both are roughly equally important depending on the genre of game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Some of the worst games I've ever played had amazing art.

Some of the most amazing games I've ever played had horrible art.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Art preference is unique to different gamers. Some may prefer the flashier stuff while others may actually enjoy the duller boring look. But then again, definitions of it will also vary.

Both gameplay and graphics are important. Graphics captures the initial attention, gameplay keeps them playing.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:49 am

Gameplay. But having both can't hurt. You have to consider that there plenty of shallow gamers out there.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:52 am

Of course gameplay is king, but I think if you're selling an experience, the look should be just right. Of course you want the game to be fun, but don't skimp on making the game world interesting and inviting.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 am

It's a pretty no-brainer answer, gameplay. So I'm instead going to tackle the question from a different angle.

Will the graphical style (style trumps fidelity) impact my interest in a game? Yes.

Being an artist I tend to favor games that interest me visually over games that have a less cohesive, or maybe even boring, style. Games in the latter camp will most likely be glanced over and maybe picked up later.

But ultimately this all hinges on gameplay of course. If a game from the latter camp is actually really, really good and I hear about how good it is, I'll likely want to try it out then.

The reverse applies for games that do appeal to me visually. Example, I looked forward immensely to Asuras Wrath because it looked badass as all hell. But then the demo was released and in truth, as a "game" it sucks and I will most likely not get it unless I find it dirt cheap somewhere.

Graphical style matters, gameplay matters more.

inkBot2012-03-15 04:45:47
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:08 am

for me , if i saw in appstore or scirra arcade a bad graphic i usually don't even think to play it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:43 am

Graphics draws my attention at first contact with the game. Doesn't matter if they're realistic, cartoon, 8bit, etc etc. The factors involved are many, and very complex because they are very personal. What i find cute and nice other may find outdated and ugly.

Everything that comes after , game mechanics , history and synergy between graphics and gameplay holds my attention. So i think you just can't analyze a game by separated aspects since they merge one with the other.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:58 am

[QUOTE=Kiyoshi] Graphics draws my attention at first contact with the game. Doesn't matter if they're realistic, cartoon, 8bit, etc etc. The factors involved are many, and very complex because they are very personal. What i find cute and nice other may find outdated and ugly.

Everything that comes after , game mechanics , history and synergy between graphics and gameplay holds my attention. So i think you just can't analyze a game by separated aspects since they merge one with the other.[/QUOTE]

This.
What is the first thing you see, when you start playing a game? The graphics, of course. They get your attention and give you a first impression of what to expect. Then it's up to the gameplay to hold your attention and keep you interested.

Overall, both are needed and must be balanced carefully. If either of them are lacking the game as a whole will lose appeal. But as long as the gameplay is fun and understandable, and the graphics are coherent and consistent, then the result will be a reasonably well made game.

Also, other factors like audio, level design, story and that sort of stuff factor in just as much as gameplay and art, but this thread's only asking about those two.PixelMonkey2012-03-15 05:58:59
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas