Game Remake/Recreation

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:12 pm

I have a really old Windows 98 platformer game. I like to remake it. However, all the graphics seem to be packaged in a RES file.
Does anyone know how I can decompile/depack/extract the graphics? Is there any automatic disassemblers/readers, etc?

NB:
I didn't make this game, and it seems this game was a fan-made game itself, as there's no copyright, credits or author information whatsoever.
I just like to "remake" games so that they work on modern Windows. That means learning how to write a "reader" so that my program can use the ORIGINAL files and run/play the game.
Last edited by andwan0 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:18 pm

*moved as question is nothing to do with C2

Did you create this game? Do you own the resources?

If not then please don't ask users how to steal resources, regardless of when they were created.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:22 pm

I didn't make this game, and it seems this game was a fan-made game itself, as there's no copyright, credits or author information whatsoever.
I just like to "remake" games so that they work on modern Windows. That means learning how to write a "reader" so that my program can use the ORIGINAL files and run/play the game.
B

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:24 pm

andwan0 wrote:I didn't make this game, and it seems this game was a fan-made game itself, as there's no copyright, credits or author information whatsoever.

I'm a fan of recreating old games for personal use, but I can't really allow discussion on depacking on here. There are plenty of sites on web that deal with such things.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Return to Open Topic