Game size: Question to developers

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:42 pm

[QUOTE=VampyricalCurse] 100MB too big? Are you serious? What if one (like me) does not care for mobile? Is 100MB still too big?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the game. If it's a casual game that you want people to see it and think, "Oh, that looks fun", and then they click and start playing, 100MB is way out of the question. People want to jump in and play, they don't want to sit there for two minutes or so while it loads.

If you're making a larger game for a less casual audience, it could still work out, but even then people might lose their patience and leave if it takes too long and they weren't too interested to begin with.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:56 pm

I see. Well, yeah, my game isn't casual, and I will make this clear before anyone starts to play. Now if they stay or leave, is their own choice and not something I care about, since I know there's different audiences.

Thank you for the answer!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Yeah, at some point I'd agree with VampyricalCurse. There will be those people that has like "over the hills" internet speed which I guess we could call hardcore gamers. If they find the game interesting, 100MB would mean nothing to them. But of course, not everyone are hard core gamers.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Nor have "over the hills" internet speed.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:22 pm

Before you start making a game this big I'd definitely recommend waiting for the staged level loader which is on the todo list (no ETA). It'll load layout by layout so it could probably get going after ~10mb of the download, while still downloading the other 90mb in the background. As it is, any user on a slow connection will probably not even bother clicking a game so big. The offline cache helps since it only needs to download once ever, but that's still a big download for anyone out of range of broadband, which is still a lot of people.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:33 pm

100-300MB is a convenient indie game size, i think. Eschalons Book II. was around that, if i remember correctly. Good sprite animations, 8-12 frames each for 8 direction-movement isometric and longer static object animations, talking NPC faces like in Fallout 1 or 2 could take up space. Now these are a lot of work and time and energy.

Construct 2 wasn't designed to PC hard disk, but for mobile devices and web.

Maybe i should re-wire my mind to mobile phone and web file-size strategy and make something in tiny size. It's just i want to create something good looking and serious. Couldn't digest this situation so far.

I was following the old mentality: fully downloadable game and installer to "C:\games\". Is it out of question for Construct 2?mercy2012-02-24 15:38:15
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Theoretically, eventually a 300MB downloadable game with both the staged level loader Ashley mentioned and a HTML5 wrapper shouldn't be a problem, because it can load stuff on the fly instead of all at once.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 pm

The staged level loader could be the solution. Until then i want one build out till feb. 29.

Began thinking in tiny 10-20MB size requirements. Every situation has a solution. It should be tiny game giving a different, fresh experience. Seeing the speed of WebGL my mind lurched forward in time dreaming about Construct 1 effects. But maybe something can be invented even with few particles and combining tiny 3D objects. Will check out possible routes after 29th.mercy2012-02-24 19:11:20
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:09 am

[QUOTE=mercy] I was following the old mentality: fully downloadable game and installer to "C:\games\". Is it out of question for Construct 2?[/QUOTE]

As it is, right out of the box, it isn't really.
Now there are ways you could still do it.
Wrappers were notified but are still not up to it.

A possible "better" solution could be to provide localhosting on the user's computer. Like he downloads/install a full archive, which is made of the exported project, a localhost executable (ex: mongoose introduced in the forum by chrisbrobs at first) and a .bat file (?) that will launch the mongoose executable as well as go to the local url, launching the default browser in the process.

It needs more refining to be a "working" solution, but I think the idea is there and you could very well, relying on the browser, have a local execution/application in the spirit you were talking about.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:29 am

There should be software that prepares yer computer to play HTML5 games offline or something. The average user cannot be bothered to go thru all that trouble. Also, browser independence it's something I'd love to see.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General