Game Stick, another OUYA competitor

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 am

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872297630/gamestick-the-most-portable-tv-games-console-ever
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 am

I like it more than Ouya. It fits into my pocket, not a silly cube.
B
S

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 am

I think this is better than Ouya and I see much more future potential with this.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm confused; if the guy from Green Throttle is also involved with Game Stick, how does that affect Green Throttle?

Anyway, it's something because I had this exact same idea with the same name "Game Stick" a few years ago. At the time, I had 2 investment sources that were interested in pursuing funding for it, but I decided to scrap it because I felt that compatibility across TV sets would be a major issue.

Maybe they've figured out a way around that. If they have, this is the best idea yet for this type of gaming. Appears to be much cheaper to make than the Ouya, of course that's only appearance, no one knows for sure without knowing the sourcing costs for their production.

The real question for us is, can kit developers easily access development for this platform?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Indeed. The portability makes it more appealing then the Ouya.

But i hope both of them succeed in the long run, so gamers have an alternative to the pricey Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo options.

This could be the golden age for indie developers.PixelPalette2013-01-05 22:03:01
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 am

meh, the problem with both of these consoles is that they are not user friendly on the input. History shows that the POINTER is the most natural input for success. Either by means of the mouse, wand or best of all touching.

The fact that the controller is still mired in old thinking of limited controller input at the time of controller design 20 years ago. It's just not going to do well.

However it does look like the time of of 3 console wars is going be destroyed and the the console wars will arena are being expanded into by the mobile market.

kudo's to google and apple for eroding the isolated console market by it's mobile direction.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 am

If gamestick had better performance than the already medicore performance of the Ouya, then it might be good.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 am

Let's wait when the market share goes well for OUYA or Gamestick
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Interesting. But I have mixed feelings about this android on T.V notion. Just because it sounds cool doesn't mean its going to be a success. If you have a phone already you don't need to buy one of these consoles. You don't here people walking around saying "I wish i can play a mobile game on my T.V". I Think for this to be successful you would have to make tremendous games exclusive to only the Ouya or GameStick. Kids will only buy real consoles. That's just the real reality. Look at the OnLive. That didn't do well at all. I mean this is great for developers but I don't find it that appealing to gamers. I remember when WebTV came out. It looked awesome but it never sold. Mobile games are not that great for hardcore gamers. I'm more or less ranting. I can see this being a success if they market it in stores like toys r us, game stop, walmart etc. Online isn't going to be enough.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I think these companies are looking at the tremendous success of the Wii and its casual game line and are banking on that to carry over. It's a risk for sure, but a calculated one at least.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Open Topic