GameClosure HTML5 SDK just went open source

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:30 am

"Were only supporting OSX at this time, but we have some success running on Linux and Windows. If youre using an unsupported platform, make sure the following prerequisites are installed and the symlinks all work, and you may have some luck."

Promising :) I'm going to tinker a little bit and see if a minimal canvas pass to C2 code would be enough.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

This could be the answer to the mobile issue..
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:20 pm

If it's open, maybe we can muster some masterful code-monkeys to implement it for use with construct?
I am a firm believer in either a bounty system or something like indiegogo campaign to get some programmers motivated with the money we will collect?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:17 pm

Wow. Performance seems great. Not only under it's mobile targets but for regular desktop browsers as well.

That kiwi game runs at least three times as fast inside Firefox as even the most basic Construct2 app I tried (Firefox' HTML5 performance is really lacking, hence this surprises me).
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm not sure what's to gain with this over something like CocoonJS. Unless they support WebGL (standards-compliant, and not a custom OpenGL binding), I don't see how it would be faster, or easy to integrate.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] I'm not sure what's to gain with this over something like CocoonJS. Unless they support WebGL (standards-compliant, and not a custom OpenGL binding), I don't see how it would be faster, or easy to integrate.[/QUOTE]

Performance aside and I will admit it might not be faster. The developers say it's an OpenGL graphics context and not art of the standard 2d one. I have no idea what what CocoonJS runs on, but no denying CJS last 1.3 performance gain is really good. So performance aside I don't know which is faster.

however I think the biggest opportunity isn't the performance gain in comparison to CocoonJS, but instead it's open ability for community extensions. Ludie mentioned an extension manager, but no ETA. This could be months or years. Though I have to admit a plus is that CoJS offers already a lot of features.

On a final note. If CocoonJS is the defacto use. Why bother with PhoneGap or AppMobi? Which are still in the exports.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:48 am

Hi,

I was actually offered an all-expenses paid job at Game Closer company.
(did not want to move from New York to California so I declined)

They are still hiring if anyone is interested.

JeZ+Lee
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:50 am

[QUOTE=JeZLee] Hi,

I was actually offered an all-expenses paid job at Game Closer company.
(did not want to move from New York to California so I declined)

They are still hiring if anyone is interested.

JeZ+Lee[/QUOTE]

They only seek developers who live in California, not freelancers.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:07 am

So I spent the day trying to install GameClosure.

My skills at Posix/Unix/Bash just aren't up to snuff to get a OSX focused set up to work on Windows. However there is another person that is managing it. If they do it I will take a look and try to see if a minimal canvas pass will work.... or someone can beat me to it whenever they want. I'm not exactly quick, infact I'm pretty slow :D

Barista however is another concern. Barista is a kind of object language that is the model for community extensions. So to create an Extension is to use Barista. This actually adds a lot more overhead to just get access to native tools.

GameClosure might be good to look at once it has matured a little more and someone has managed to get an easy to Windows functionality. In the mean time I will just keep an eye on it :) unless of course you are a Mac developer :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 am

Decided to give it another go. Spent a number of hours on working to see if C2 could easily work in GC. Of course this was at the expense of my own game :D

So I managed to figure an easy way to get a C2 game running in GC. Requires a few simple hacks, but there is a lot I don't understand to make it less hacky. Also promisingly ran to run in WebGL mode on the initial test, but failed. This was promising, but I didn't want to tinker with OGL yet. In Canvas2D it ran.

As for mobile peformance. I have no idea. Much of GC is BASH command line. Requiring knowledge I'm not familiar with. Requiring a link to the Android SDK the through BASH which is there. So currently all Android GC kit isn't installed. But if anything comes up in the GC community answering how to. I will post an update on performance asap.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General