GameJolt hosting

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:53 pm

Ah, might've missed that email, I've got no internet at the moment (housemate trod on the router power supply or something), I'll check it out when my home interweb is back.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:41 am

Sorry for the bump, but anyone else have a problem viewing this site? Using Firefox it comes out messed up and it looks like the CSS isn't working at all, but with Google Chrome it runs fine.

I cleared my cache and all but still no luck. Any other Firefox users encountering this problem?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:48 am

Hey, Shady. What version of FireFox are you using? I just tested it out in 2 and 3 and things seem to be looking fine.
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:29 am

I'm running Firefox 3. So it's working for you? I guess it must be my laptop...

This is how it turns out:

B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks for notifying us of the bug. I may have a few ideas as to why that may happen, although I've never witnessed anything like that. The problem is definitely that the stylesheets are not loading for you. I'll check into it and get back to you.

Thanks for your interest in the site!
B
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:56 am

It seems to be working now...

By the way, great site!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks! Glad you like it. And if you or anyone else has any features they'd like, just let me know. This site was made for you guys.

As for the glitch, I actually didn't touch anything on the site, so it must've been a hiccup with FireFox, or your connection, or even the server.
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:59 am

I love the site! I just have yet to make anything that everyone else will love, to post there. :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:43 am

I think the site should be extended so that indies could also sell their games on these sites. One of the problems with indie-development is that people seem to think that indie games have to be free of charge.

I think we'd make much more progress if indie developers would also be payed for their work - Look at the iPhones AppStore. If there's money involved, developers will hopefully deliver something that's not pure and utter crap and customers will be happy enough spending a couple bucks for something that's really well developed. Look at games like Cave Story - I wouldn't have a problem paying 15-20 bucks for a title like that.

So maybe you guys should focus on both these things - free games and commercial indie games. For every commercial game there should be a demo version like on XBLA, so people could try everything and decide on what they'd want to spend their money on.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 pm

We're trying not to release too much information about future plans on the site. However, let's just say you did hit the nail on the head with that suggestion. I guess I'll also say, ad revenue sharing is also planned. Freeware game developers should be able to make money from their games, too. We'd like to get a stronger base of freeware games first, though. There's many plans for this site, but things have to pick up a bit more first.

We're currently building out the site into two sections right now: Freeware and Open Source. More sections are planned for the future. The site will be a fully inclusive indie gaming source.

We're also working on an API so that other sites can pull our information. It's almost ready to be put into a public beta stage. I've had some talk with Ashley about using the API to pull Construct games off of Game Jolt to make a listing of all the games made with Construct. I think this would be very valuable to the community.

We want Game Jolt to be THE place for game developers to get their games out there. Whether it's a freeware game, an open source game, an indie game, flash game, game mod, whatever.

This may sound fairly pathetic, but we really need everyone's help. If anyone's interested in helping get the word out, just let us know. We need as many people as we can to get this into the hands of as many developers as we can. Only then can it take off. We could easily add some features into the site so that indie developers can sell their games, but if no one's coming, what's the point?

If anyone has any ideas of blogs that we'd be able to contact or forums or anything, just let me know.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic