GameJolt hosting

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 pm

We're trying not to release too much information about future plans on the site. However, let's just say you did hit the nail on the head with that suggestion. I guess I'll also say, ad revenue sharing is also planned. Freeware game developers should be able to make money from their games, too. We'd like to get a stronger base of freeware games first, though. There's many plans for this site, but things have to pick up a bit more first.

We're currently building out the site into two sections right now: Freeware and Open Source. More sections are planned for the future. The site will be a fully inclusive indie gaming source.

We're also working on an API so that other sites can pull our information. It's almost ready to be put into a public beta stage. I've had some talk with Ashley about using the API to pull Construct games off of Game Jolt to make a listing of all the games made with Construct. I think this would be very valuable to the community.

We want Game Jolt to be THE place for game developers to get their games out there. Whether it's a freeware game, an open source game, an indie game, flash game, game mod, whatever.

This may sound fairly pathetic, but we really need everyone's help. If anyone's interested in helping get the word out, just let us know. We need as many people as we can to get this into the hands of as many developers as we can. Only then can it take off. We could easily add some features into the site so that indie developers can sell their games, but if no one's coming, what's the point?

If anyone has any ideas of blogs that we'd be able to contact or forums or anything, just let me know.
B
G

Post » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 am

Kotaku is one of the biggest game blogs I know and tons of people go there daily.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

Kotaku is more geared towards gamers and commercial games, right? I'm not sure if they'd want to cover a story on an indie game hosting site...
B
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:17 am

Kotaku does occasionally do indie game posts.

http://kotaku.com/tag/indie-games/
B
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:15 am

But I'm pretty sure they'd only be interested if that stuff grabs their readers attention. Right now, we have the tool and the tool still has a few kinks (that's why controller support is important, btw) and there aren't really ambitious projects out there yet.

If the next 'Braid' is being built with Construct, you can bet your nuts they're gonna do a lot on press on that - but right now, it's more of a 'wow, lots of potential there' thing, which is cool for creators but boring for gamers.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:01 pm

Braid is being built with Construct?

Maybe the key would be to release shorter games based on single ideas kind of like Eversion or something.
B
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 pm

[quote="CROS":2cgaaxhf]Braid is being built with Construct?[/quote:2cgaaxhf]

No? :?

Wait, were you kidding? I can't tell :P
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

Oops! I read Thomas' post wrong. :oops:
Nevermind about that.
B
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:39 pm

braid can easily be build using construct, even world of goo could be made using it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:47 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":2thq5la8]braid can easily be build using construct, even world of goo could be made using it.[/quote:2thq5la8]

How would you do the time scaling thing in Construct? Like, rewinding time? Or creating a shadowed copy of yourself? Is that stuff possible with TimeDelta / TimeScale, etc.?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic