Gamepad support only

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:37 pm

@jayderyu, that sounds pretty much what I was thinking. I"ll have to make some design changes to accommodate the mouse, like crosshairs and some small changes to the vehicle movements, but it might work.

@megatronx, context sensitive controls is a good idea, but just about everything can be used at any time. There really is no situation where one thing is relevant, while something else isn't.

I'll post my current build in the WIP forums tonight and link it here as it's probably easier to play than to describe how it plays. :)
Be sure to check out my Metroidvania game, A Hole in the Earth
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:56 pm

ryanrybot wrote:@jayderyu, that sounds pretty much what I was thinking. I"ll have to make some design changes to accommodate the mouse, like crosshairs and some small changes to the vehicle movements, but it might work.

@megatronx, context sensitive controls is a good idea, but just about everything can be used at any time. There really is no situation where one thing is relevant, while something else isn't.

I'll post my current build in the WIP forums tonight and link it here as it's probably easier to play than to describe how it plays. :)

I see. Don't know what your game is, but maybe a "hold to toggle" button would do; something sequential?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:45 am

@megatronx, I might try a hold to toggle type of thing with weapon selection, but I think mouse support will be the direction I go.

Anyway, here's a test build of my game. The keyboard controls are very messed up, so if you have a gamepad, it's for the best.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:41 am

@ryanrybot

If I may make a suggestion, when I had the same issue, I wanted to use all of the Gamepads buttons, on a keyboard it's tricky with the WASD, but you can counter that fairly well by using combinations.

Shift + Mouse Left Click = Left Shoulder Trigger
Shift + Mouse Right Click = Right Shoulder Trigger
(Naturally the Shift key is used by most programs as the go to modifier so most people are already accustomed to this.)

Q = Left Shoulder Button
E = Right Shoulder Button
(A lot of Gamepad games use the shoulder buttons for quick one-tap actions so you'd want something easy and close for the Player)

Joystick Emulation is tricky, but I think I found a fairly intuitive way to do it from my last Ludum Dare Comp Hazardisc.

Here's the event sheet...

You can see it in action here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=52436
Or direct link here: https://9f99f0434145e6afc61f2ecd3c33a991e6f09b75.googledrive.com/host/0B__ZM26gUqy0YWNSR2hCTURGUms/index.html

Basically you (1) Turn the Mouse into a Cross Hair, then (2) Pin an Arrow to your Player (3) Every tick set the angle of the arrow towards the crosshair. When you want to fire a projectile (4) Set the default angle of that projectile to the pinned Arrow.Angle, similar to a PC Bullethell Shooter.

If you want to simulate 8 Direction Aiming, have Have the Pinned Arrow Rotate 45 Degrees toward the Crosshair, this I'm currently using for a game I'm about to release on Steam.

Either way keep it up, the more of us developers that put more thought into Gamepad controls, the more we help it start to become the standard for PC gaming, I love how the past 2-3 years the X-Input quickly became an Industry Standard, if you need more specific help message me anytime BRAH.
Check out my first game Axes and Arrows and vote for A&A on Steam Greenlight!
B
S

Post » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:56 am

ryanrybot wrote:@megatronx, I might try a hold to toggle type of thing with weapon selection, but I think mouse support will be the direction I go.

Anyway, here's a test build of my game. The keyboard controls are very messed up, so if you have a gamepad, it's for the best.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/305 ... index.html

I really like where you're going with all that, keep us posted on that project pimp!
Check out my first game Axes and Arrows and vote for A&A on Steam Greenlight!
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:37 am

Thank you very much for sharing, @jerryfriestad! I'm starting to get a better idea of what I want to do, now I just need the time to implement it. :P
I've been posting my progress in the WIP forums, if you wanted to know more about the project. a-hole-in-the-earth-blaster-master-type-game_t119715
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General