Games made using behaviors = boring and unrpoffesional?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:53 am

Yeah, behaviors are good to save time and I do plan to change them/play around with them to make, that's why I tend to use behaviors, atleast the platform behavior feels more flexible then game makers platform tutorial imo but the again gml pro's tend to make their own engine most of the time as gm doesn't use behaviors and they have alot of time on their hands as well, in my game I do tend to add atleast skidding/dashing tough, even tough I haven't used Construct much I will learn how to add it eventually, I couldn't use Construct because I have school work to do and it's difficult to work on games when you have essays to write/complete.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Besides Krush being completely right, behaviors will run faster than if they were done in events. If you're trying to do everything with events (depending on the complexity), I have a feeling it could actually impact performance.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Behaviors only equal an unprofessional game if the behavior code itself is bad. Look at the Klik products and their platform movement. When a game uses it, you KNOW because you always get stuck in things.

On the other hand, Construct's behaviors are much better coded and it's not noticeable. They're very flexible so each game can use them uniquely; there aren't limitations that make each game using a behavior all cookie-cutter-like. If you gave me a game made with the platform behavior and a game made using events that was nearly the same, I wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. They're there to be used, so they SHOULD be used, unless they're crappy, which in Construct's case they are not.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:44 pm

A lot of construct behaviors work perfectly, theres no reason not to use them, and adding custom content is easy.

if you want to make a platform game, by all means you should be using the platform behavior.

Only when a really specialized movement, like that in sonic games or n is needed, should you think about building your own engine from the ground up for real control over how terrain interactions are handled.

games with grappling hooks can use the platform movement, you just need to turn it off while hook stuff is going on and reactivate it when its not.

game maker has a lot of bad practices associated with it, dont look to those for guidance, because they're workarounds to the program.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Yeah, MMF2 platformer behavior sucked, they have no collision box so you had to make your own events for it or using the alternative platformer object that is a downloadable plug-in, Construct's behaviors are much better coded, I have no problem myself with games using behavior as long as the games are fun to play ^^ but as posted here it's quite sad to see people downrate your game because you used a built-in object, something which game maker guys are famed for, I saw some good/decent gm games that are done with care yet to be downrated by a guy who decompiled their game and checks them out to see if it's code or DnD, which is discouraging to say the least.

[quote:1qmpsyrd]I would argue that money has already brought a lot of programmers who aren't serious about game development into the field. Have you seen how many soulless games there are on the web? It's the result of people saying, "I can program, games make money, I'll make a game."

Programming has been a barrier of entry to game development but being a great programmer doesn't make you a great game designer. There are a lot of artists out there who have great game design ideas, and now they can take a stab at it. People won't be able to get away with making lazy, bad games and those games shouldn't be a threat to anyone who has confidence in their own abilities.[/quote:1qmpsyrd]

Spoken by Tom Fulp from Newgrounds and I agree with him, this is from the TGF2NE forum on their bbs.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Well knowing how to program a game only counts when you want a job with a big games company.Or if you plan to make wii,xbox360 or ps3 games with thier dev kits.With Indie gaming it does not matter what behaviors you use or what app is used , As long as the game is good then most people won't care how the game was made.

Ask any gamer if they care about what dev kits were used in a game and they will just say um i don't care.The same goes for behaviors.Well i certainly don't care what the devs used to make gears of war for instance.I didn't even know UDK existed until i got it from one of my friends.

And as for the guys at game maker downgrading game devs, They are just a bunch of green jealous goblins.Yeah thats what they should be called green goblins right next to the trolls.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:36 am

There is only issue with behaviors. Low FPS makes platform jumping higher and high FPS makes jump lower
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 am

Hm, it should be timedelta'd...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:15 pm

[quote="DtrQ":rmcok5mw]There is only issue with behaviors. Low FPS makes platform jumping higher and high FPS makes jump lower[/quote:rmcok5mw]
As Mipey says, it should be time delta'd so that there's no difference whatever the frame rate.

But it does bring me back to my original comment.
If a behaviour does what you want, how you want, then there's no reason not to use it.
If it doesn't, down to the behaviour not working as it should or it's poorly written, then it should be avoided.

Bad code is bad code, whether it's written by you or someone else. :)

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:25 pm

The more the merrier, even if it is bad code. The beauty of open source is someone can always learn from those mistakes and fix it.
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion