Gangster Tactics: Pile Them In

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:32 pm

Yet another progress report (Seriously though, I have no idea how else to start my progress report)

I finish up the player's gang array.
It take helluva lot of time to finish the functions require to populate the array because the array contains 54 columns aside from the first indexing column.
The columns hold vital information from the stats to the current alignment of the character inside the gang.

I also finish up the random name arrays necessary to give names to the characters (aside from the player character, boss and special NPCs)
This is important as player's hired goons need names as do the enemies' mooks.
This also take a fair amount of time as I need to separate the names according to gender and race.
After all, an Irish male named Lakasha is not going to help much in trying to engage the player, isn't it ;) ?
All in all, there are over 1000 plus names in those arrays so that will ensure very rarely any members of yours or the enemies will ever have the same name.
(P.S. Thank you popular baby naming sites that I won't named. You guys are a great help in this!)

To populate the gang screen, i finish creating a portion of the characters that will be in the demo. Basically the Latinos since I have just be only showing off the Irish and the Africans previously.
To show that, I present to you:

From the left to right; Civilian, Brute, Punk, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Provocateurs
This is definitely not the main cast for a latino pixel version of Glee, I swear

And of course, the female editions, because of equal opportunity ;)
And these are not their love interests, seriously not.

Will finish up the gang screen in the near future.
Also I will be deleting the current progress on the opening post since it is tiring for me to keep updating it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 am

Progress report for yesterday work.

I finish slicing parts of the character sprites to make it easier to animate and to transfer animations to each different character after just one is done.
This is pretty much based on the techniques used by expert animators for square enix to lessen their workload.
What works for the goose, works for the gander.

Moreover, after some consideration, I decided to changed the way I design characters in the game.
At first, I want the each races in my game to look differently in term of color,clothing and hairstyle despite mostly sharing the same stereotypes.
However, after spending quite some time just animating different characters, I decided that is way too much workload for me to handle.
I am the only developer for this game, with Sam Jones providing the soundtracks.
If I continue with this methodology, I can only finish this game after around 5 years of just animating pixels.

So, I come out with new method, I will try to make each stereotype look different from each other in term of hairstyle and clothing.
However, the difference for each race for the same stereotype is just skin and hair color instead of overall color haul also in clothing and different hairstyles.
With just this and the earlier slicing , I reduce my workload by a huge margin with a dip in variety, which I hope you guys will forgive me.
After all, if possible, I plan to finish this game within a year time frame with the demo coming out hopefully in another two months or so, give or take a few weeks.

The Latino Squad practicing their moves for the dance off

Do not worry, special NPCs and bosses will still have their own character animation and design, separated from mooks (both yours and theirs).
Moreover, racial stereotype unique to each race is still in.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:51 am

Have you considered headwear or earrings/necklaces etc to increase differentiation between the classes? Atm a few of them look very close and cannot be quickly distinguished. Especially your Civ, Brute, Provo.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:53 am

Looking forward to play this game. Best.
B

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:06 am

Silverforce wrote:Have you considered headwear or earrings/necklaces etc to increase differentiation between the classes? Atm a few of them look very close and cannot be quickly distinguished. Especially your Civ, Brute, Provo.

Those are from the previous methodology that I am ditching also partly due to the reason you mentioned.
Using the new methodology, I will ensure that different stereotypes use different clothing , accessories, hairstyles and color.
I just finished Brute and Social Activist for the new character design. The others will come as quickly as I can finished them.

Thanks for your feedback.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:19 am

very nice, the system of the game are awesome and pixel art is wonderful!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:01 pm

gillenew wrote:very nice, the system of the game are awesome and pixel art is wonderful!

p0pzst wrote:Looking forward to play this game. Best.

Both of you. Thanks for your compliments. I will try my best not to disappoint. :D

Yesterday progress report.

Finish the walking animations for the all the classes available for the player in the demo based on the new methodology.
What I am showing is based on the latinos, however based on the answers you give in the character creation section of the demo, you will get different racial versions.

From the left to right; Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur
FINALLY their useless gang leader decide to splurge on clothing and haircuts. Now they don't need the nametags to tell who is who anymore.

Now progressing on finishing the gang screen.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Looking brilliant!
B
S

Post » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:19 am

KrownLogic wrote:Looking brilliant!

Thanks for your compliment. :D

Progress from yesterday.
Changed the gang screen button to something better. Also created a lot of buttons for the gang screen.

Finish drawing the stereotype (class) icons for the characters in the player's gang.

From the left to right: Brute, Social Activist, Smarty Pants, Punk, Provocateur
Also their favorite graffiti to paint over walls

Suggestions are welcomed.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am

Progress for today and yesterday.

I finish creating the bottom part of the Battle UI. While this may seem to be just a small part, it actually involve a lot of code and assets.
Also need to insert another new font I have forgotten into my game to represent lives.
The good thing is that I had created in a way that allow me to call on this UI with a single function and with only a single parameter (Unit ID).
Hard work today for easy work in the future. :D

The UI in question. I changed it to be shorter so I can put another one on the right side with room to spare for a very obvious reason if you played any FFT or TO games before.
Henry is such a showoff sometimes

I also have fix some assets to look better. Also have finish most of the gang screen assets.

Will focus on coding the remaining of the gang screen.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests