GDPR Mobile Advert (Admob) Compliance

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
You think you can guess the character’s name?! Then let’s see how smart you are!
  • If you use the Mobile Advert (Admob) for Ads Plugin, what are you doing to comply with the new GDPR Eu Consent policy coming into effect Tommorow 25th May 2018.?

From the 25th of May Google Admob will require all developers of apps that serve Personalised or non-personalised Ads within their apps to obtain consent from the end users in the European Economic Area. If you fail to comply with this policy, they may limit or suspend your use of the Google product and/or terminate your agreement.

Admob has only just provided a consent sdk to help developers comply with this , as of writing as far as I know, this option is not incorporated into the Mobile advert plugin, so using this alone means we are non-compliant to GDPR.

Hopefully the consent sdk, will be incorporated into the Mobile Advert Plugin but in the meanwhile what do Construct Mobile Advert users plan on doing to comply?

Until I have implemented a solution I personally will have to disable my Admob Ad units, and maybe put just a payed version of my apps on the Play store.

What will you be doing ?

Cheers

• I think Google must be working on something as if they don’t produce a new SDK that covers this then their profits from banner app revenue will plummet, although why the largest tech company in the world still hasn’t done it already this late in the game is a head scratcher.

Also app/game creation software companies such as Scirra would also benefit from producing something that allows app devs to create apps with smooth and easy to implement compliance functionality, as the vast majority of casual and hobbiest app devs implement banner ads to make an extra bit of cash (some a full-time income) and chase the dream of a breakout hit, and if the have to jump through hoops to implement banner ads they’ll go elsewhere and find software that does supply this functionality. Whichever app dev software company cracks this will see devs flocking to them and their software. It would be a massive coup if Scirra got there first ahead of, for example Buildbox.

• I think Google must be working on something as if they don’t produce a new SDK that covers this then their profits from banner app revenue will plummet, although why the largest tech company in the world still hasn’t done it already this late in the game is a head scratcher.

Also app/game creation software companies such as Scirra would also benefit from producing something that allows app devs to create apps with smooth and easy to implement compliance functionality, as the vast majority of casual and hobbiest app devs implement banner ads to make an extra bit of cash (some a full-time income) and chase the dream of a breakout hit, and if the have to jump through hoops to implement banner ads they’ll go elsewhere and find software that does supply this functionality. Whichever app dev software company cracks this will see devs flocking to them and their software. It would be a massive coup if Scirra got there first ahead of, for example Buildbox.

It seems that using Unity ads will be compliant, from Unity gdpr readiness statement , https://unity3d.com/legal/gdpr

"Other ad platforms are only an SDK, meaning they only profile for the purpose of advertising. This kind of in-game advertising (without any additional purpose) requires opt-in consent as its legal basis.

Unity is SDKs, it’s plugins, and it’s the engine itself. So, Unity’s profiling is compatible with other, more legitimate interests than merely ads. Crash reports, bug fixes, enabling user-user communication, etc., are each of legitimate interest to our gamers and developers. Our profiling enables those purposes. Unity is in a unique position because our profiling is compatible to those legitimate interests."

• OK - so how do we go about using Unity ads in our apps? The Mobile Advert plugin only allows for AdMob ads doesn’t it?

• OK - so how do we go about using Unity ads in our apps? The Mobile Advert plugin only allows for AdMob ads doesn’t it?

There is a c3 add on, but I have not tried it, so I can't comment on the functionality of it, or if it complies.

https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/addons/100/unityads

• > OK - so how do we go about using Unity ads in our apps? The Mobile Advert plugin only allows for AdMob ads doesn’t it?

>

There is a c3 add on, but I have not tried it, so I can't comment on the functionality of it, or if it complies.

https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/addons/100/unityads

Ok great - but just looked at that plugin and it mentions video ads only. Does it work for banner ads and interstitials? Does Unity only provide video ads?

• >

> > OK - so how do we go about using Unity ads in our apps? The Mobile Advert plugin only allows for AdMob ads doesn’t it?

> >

>

> There is a c3 add on, but I have not tried it, so I can't comment on the functionality of it, or if it complies.

>

> https://www.construct.net/gb/make-games/addons/100/unityads

>

Ok great - but just looked at that plugin and it mentions video ads only. Does it work for banner ads and interstitials? Does Unity only provide video ads?

I have never user Unity Ads, so I can't comment, you could try asking the author of the plugin/Add-on

• Is it enough to disable our ads on our Admob account or should we unpublish our apps too?

• You think they will make hundreds of thousands of apps have to reup apks?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Is it enough to disable our ads on our Admob account or should we unpublish our apps too?

I don't know, but to be on the safe side, I am going to unpublish all my apps and disable my Ad units tonight, as we do not have the option of the Admob consent sdk within the Construct 3 Mobile Advert Plugin.

• You think they will make hundreds of thousands of apps have to reup apks?

From Admob

Set up consent gathering

See the Google Developers guide (Android, iOS) to learn how to use Google’s consent dialog or create your own consent dialog that displays a message on your sites or apps asking your users in the EEA for consent.

After updating your app code, you’ll re-upload your app to Google Play or the App Store

• Screw that.

I hope their servers choke, and I assume they will.

• GDPR seems to be causing chaos across the world right now...

So I'm a bit late on the start line here, just been reading up on the situation after seeing this thread. I've seen some suggestion online that using non-personalised ads is "good enough" but the admob documentation still says that you need consent, and older ad units are personalised anyway.

Google have now published a separate toolkit for managing user consent in app, which I am in the process of adding to the mobile advert plugin. But I'm not sure what the legal requirement is for older versions of apps are. I mean what happens if a user doesn't update?

I will try to get a fix live today but I'm away for the next 3 days ( bank holiday ) so this isn't exactly great timing.

• GDPR seems to be causing chaos across the world right now...

So I'm a bit late on the start line here, just been reading up on the situation after seeing this thread. I've seen some suggestion online that using non-personalised ads is "good enough" but the admob documentation still says that you need consent, and older ad units are personalised anyway.

Google have now published a separate toolkit for managing user consent in app, which I am in the process of adding to the mobile advert plugin. But I'm not sure what the legal requirement is for older versions of apps are. I mean what happens if a user doesn't update?

I will try to get a fix live today but I'm away for the next 3 days ( bank holiday ) so this isn't exactly great timing.

That would be fantastic if you could, regarding older apps, for caution I have removed my ad units, and will re-publish my apps with new ad units when you have implemented the admob consent sdk.

Many thanks for your quick response.

• How do you disable Admob ads the only option im seeing is to straight up destroy/erase the Ad Unit- Also in the last like 4 or 5 days i went from earning around 40 cents a day to nothing, im guessing this is product of this new GDPR rules?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)