Give some meaningful existence to the NPCs.

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 am

You will agree with me once you see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViO6Gu7qHcE
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:57 pm

Awesome.. now where is the part where it has anything to do with COnstruct?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:50 pm

When you develop NPCs in your games. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:41 pm

That's one of the things I've been thinking about so much lately - I fucking hate the idea that you as a player run around and you've got a few 'obstacles' in your way that always follow absolutely the same pattern, just waiting for you to interact with them (so that they can go back following the same pattern again) or kill them.

I mean, Mario Bros is like over 20 years old now and our enemies still aren't that much smarter. Seriously, I've just played Fable 2 and that games logic is so broken (I even think that Fable 1 was better in that regard, but my memory could fool me here), it's not even funny. All the bandits are just stupid fuckers just waiting for you to kill them, so you get EXP. It's like junk food, it's an easy thing to do and you get some pleasure killing stupid enemies, but it SO kills the atmosphere and the believability. You're being put into a world that artists worked on for years and put in countless hours to make it look believable and then they fill it up with stupid fucking enemies that are just so fucking stupid that instead of killing them you might just want to pity them.

In that regard, I loved what Eric Chahi was doing with his games like Another World - The enemies never felt like they're just fucking stupid, he probably didn't have simple loops and formulas for characters, but designed every one of them based on the scenario. Of course it's a bit unfair to compare those two, cause Another World is a perfect example of a totally linear game, but come on.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Well that might be right, however do anyone really cares when they're already playing it the game??
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:42 am

wonderful video! I've thought about this a lot when i planned the game i'm working on (or should be) right now. I'm going to have AI that goes to sleep in their house at a specific time, can hear you if you make a noise, and a lot of other cool stuff! You're going to love it!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:52 am

I really would like to see that.

I think as a side point something a lot of games do which is fun is give idle enemies/players special animations. Worms has several and they make me chuckle, all part of the game design.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:37 pm

linear isnt bad, it just ruins the replayability of a game. i quite like another world, i love the way you have to figure out things which are seemingly obvious if you knew about them, and the way you do things which you would actually do in real life. things like pick up the laser pistol, swing in the cage, hold down the trigger for different firing types and wtv else i havnt played yet.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:46 am

NPC's in Oblivion and Fallout 3 have their own routines. They sleep at night (go in their homes) and wander around in daytime.
They exist for you to talk with, to get mission-objectives, or to let you believe you are not alone (although in Oblivion I always feel alone^^).

NPC's in GTA 4 wander around, or say one liners to other NPC's. :)
They exist to populate the city and to be splattered.

In fable 2, NPC's are sitting on the ground sometimes, so you can surprise-attack them.
Sometimes they are just standing, doing nothing, waiting for you to come.
Sometimes they jump out of a tree (scripted).

Are these NPC's having a meaningful existence?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:37 am

[quote="rogerty":1lsx4qiq]NPC's in Oblivion and Fallout 3 have their own routines. They sleep at night (go in their homes) and wander around in daytime.
They exist for you to talk with, to get mission-objectives, or to let you believe you are not alone (although in Oblivion I always feel alone^^).

NPC's in GTA 4 wander around, or say one liners to other NPC's. :)
They exist to populate the city and to be splattered.

In fable 2, NPC's are sitting on the ground sometimes, so you can surprise-attack them.
Sometimes they are just standing, doing nothing, waiting for you to come.
Sometimes they jump out of a tree (scripted).

Are these NPC's having a meaningful existence?[/quote:1lsx4qiq]

Yes, technology has come a long way since mario.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion