gles.js - a lightweight WebGL renderer for Android

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:41 pm

@damainman: An error report only helps so much in showing if you have a system or driver problem with the software package, so it sends your hardware specs to the developers and where in the their code the error/crash happened. Ashley wants the capx files for the reason of code optimization and hunting down logic errors in the code. This doesn't work with generated error reports. Like he said, he only wants to help you and everybody to improve C2. Blaming him doesn't help neither you nor the community..more likely Ashley will only get frustrated and abandon C2...

Anyway, if you can't sent your (art?) files, try using placeholder graphics. I think you don't need to send all your project, just the part that makes problems (if you structure your projects in a kind of modular way this should not be an issue).
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 am

Maybe they could add a feature that prepares a capx for bug reports by changing all the graphics to placekittehs.
https://placekitten.com/
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:20 am

@newt I did put kittens and hearts in for valentines day ;) I try! I really try LOL!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:50 am

@Chupup Games

The problem is that the errors aren't in the game logic. The errors @damainman is describing are completely random engine issues across a variety of customers and completely unseen in any of our own desktops. Low spec machines do tend to have more issues, but even high end ones that wipe ours across the floor seem to have problems we've never seen even once in any of our testing.

Another reason why giving him the entire capx won't work beyond copyright ( we offered for Scirra to sign NDA/etc to access the source with no reply at: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=111673 ) is because there is just so much going on that it would probably take him the same 1.5+ years we've been working on it to fully map everything out. We worked on this code nearly every day for that whole time and know it best, if there was something more we could do to fix it or debug further we would (and, we are!)

And if the problem turns out to be Node Webkit or Chromium you know what will happen? We will get told to contact them and pray that they can fix it. That's just plain aggravating considering that this middleware is supposed to be the end-point where we report bugs as customers of Scirra directly.

I love Scirra, and have since the first time I saw Construct Classic in the real early stages, but in the same way that CC ran into limitations and a total re-write was decided upon, C2 has now done the exact same thing but C3 won't even be a different runtime so the same issues I have now will be there waiting for me.

I don't want Ashley to abandon C2, that's part of why I want it fixed, in fact I want Scirra to invest in their product and hire the contractors/staff and make something really professional out of it. For big game devs we would certainly be willing to pay at a minimum the cost of Unity pro, because we don't care about 3D (but Quazi's Q3D is looking really good!), we just need 2D to work.

It's not just art, it's sounds and the event triggers attached to those sounds. Taking out those would probably break the game and between supporting our game, our day jobs, and other commitments there's just not enough time in the day.
Last edited by Jayjay on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:08 am

@damainman
@Jayjay

this thread become one of the saddest topics on Scirra's forum. Yet Construct 2 is still advertised with words like "lets YOU make advanced games!", "professional game development software", "true multiplatform support", "Reliable, Stable"...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:26 am

Take it somewhere else then szymek.
There are as many if not more issues with other engines that can't do half of what C2 did its first year out.
Seriously see for yourself.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:52 am

@newt But there are also other 2D engines that can do tonnes of things C2 still can't right now (without the issues mentioned previously) when it comes to the final exported product. There is no point as a for-profit game dev in having the best 2D game engine/dev tool in the world if your exported game doesn't run on any client's computer with reasonable specs.

I feel that toning down the hyperbole of the adverts is the first step to improving the situation, rather than encouraging people to leave the community and Construct. This tool is the future, but pretty much all of the runtimes other than the pure HTML5 export (which is at the mercy of whatever browser you use) are certainly not.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:11 am

newt wrote:Take it somewhere else then szymek.

Something is wrong with C2 or Scirra's approach or there are false promises on C2 page -> "Go somewhere else!!!!1111. Leave Ashley alone!!!11111"

Nevermind.

Jayjay wrote:There is no point as a for-profit game dev in having the best 2D game engine/dev tool in the world if your exported game doesn't run on any client's computer with reasonable specs.

+1
Last edited by szymek on Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:19 am

@szymek Not sure newt was trying to go for that kind of meaning, but sometimes it does feel very defensive rather than progressive in discussions like these with most people of opposing opinion finally deciding to be silent or leave entirely.
Last edited by Jayjay on Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:48 am

Im not saying leave. Im saying people need to see how the other engines compare.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General