Global layers: Objects go missing.

Bugs will be moved here once resolved.

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:30 pm

It's by design that if you set a layer to global, it overrides the objects on all the other layers with its own content. However due to the architecture of the editor the overridden layers can't be displayed on the other layouts, so their content will seem to disappear. This is still by design at the moment.

So that means the global setting wipes any objects assigned to same-name layers on other layouts as long as it's in effect? Makes sense that the runtime throws an error then.

However the OP alludes to a runtime error but does not specify how that occurs. Can you describe some more about that? Can you still get it to happen even if you pretend the editor doesn't allow you to modify a layer which has been overridden?

If I try to set layers to global on the 'startup' layout in my own project I get this error message during preview:

'Savestate_Lab' is a global object I use to keep track of some variables during the first section of the game. It's meant to minimize savestate size and I destroy it when outside that first section. I also destroy and re-create it each time the game is restarted, including on first-time run. The 'Savestate_Lab' object itself exists on the first layout that gets switched to after the 'startup' layout (on one of the layers that get over-ridden). And the events below happen on the 'startup' layout right before switching.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:16 am

Me too have the same problem :D .Thanks for your info.
B

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm

@ErekT - you have not provided a .capx for what you describe, so I cannot investigate it - however if the object only exists on a layer which has been overridden by a global layer, then it acts as if it is not placed anywhere in the project (since the overridden instances on the global layer don't count), so that is by design.

Closing this report as the editor issues should be fixed for the next build.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:44 pm

Yeah, I'd rather not post the entire project file out in the open. Sounds like it's not necessary anymore anyway, but if you still want to double-check with the actual capx, let me know and I'll PM you a link.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Closed bugs