Godot Engine (open source 2d/3d engine)

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Colludium wrote:@Bleenx,

The answer to your question about visual scripting is here in the Godot roadmap, Core Engine #24.... :)


Oh cool, thanks for that. It seems like a target later than even this year with all the stuff before it. Of course, I'm not sure how fast the devs work though. Has anyone talked about visual scripting for Godot in detail, like if it's gonna be similar to Playmaker for Unity or something as nice and convenient as C2? I saw that it said it would be similar to Blueprint for Unreal but I'm not familiar with that at all.
Last edited by Bleenx on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
26
S
12
G
11
Posts: 260
Reputation: 7,958

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:36 pm

@Bleenx, I haven't been following their forums closely so I don't know if it's been discussed. The editor already has visual scripting for creating shader effects and animation controls, so I imagine that it'll be like that (ie similar to Playmaker / UE4's Blueprints). Not as intuitive as c2's event system, IMO, but it'll be far better than learning to code!
Learning other engines, but C2 still rocks. Image Image Image Image
B
80
S
22
G
95
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 57,671

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Colludium wrote:@Bleenx, I haven't been following their forums closely so I don't know if it's been discussed. The editor already has visual scripting for creating shader effects and animation controls, so I imagine that it'll be like that (ie similar to Playmaker / UE4's Blueprints). Not as intuitive as c2's event system, IMO, but it'll be far better than learning to code!


Ha.. right! I don't enjoy programming. I don't have the brain for it. If it weren't for something like c2, I'd be stuck watching C# tutorials on YouTube and trying to figure out Unity. Here's hoping Godot can do something that helps more artsy people with the visual scripting thing.
B
26
S
12
G
11
Posts: 260
Reputation: 7,958

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm

It's interesting to see where Godot went from 2014 till now. Version 3.0.1 was released a few days ago. Incredible how far they have come and it's a free/open source engine. Really quite amazing, getting about $7500 monthly in recurring revenue from Patreon + who knows what other donations.
Visual Scripting that was spoken about was added. Pretty much like Blueprints. Not like Constructs great system which I prefer to the Blueprints way, but cool nonetheless. I think more than anything Unity and GameMaker might have some real competition on their hands with this.
I think I'll download it and play around with it for a bit.
B
34
S
9
G
4
Posts: 253
Reputation: 5,367

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:33 pm

dbl post
Last edited by Havok on Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
34
S
9
G
4
Posts: 253
Reputation: 5,367

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:57 pm

Havok wrote:
Havok wrote:It's interesting to see where Godot went from 2014 till now. Version 3.0.1 was released a few days ago. Incredible how far they have come and it's a free/open source engine.
Exporting to all major platforms including web. It looks like Deponia 4 was done in it for PS4.
Really quite amazing, getting about $7500 monthly in recurring revenue from Patreon + who knows what other donations.
Visual Scripting that was spoken about was added. Pretty much like Blueprints. Not like Constructs great system which I prefer to the Blueprints way, but cool nonetheless. I think more than anything Unity and GameMaker might have some real competition on their hands with this.
I think I'll download it and play around with it for a bit.


@Havok

Why quote yourself?

Your post makes no sense. Am I missing something?
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
Moderator
B
145
S
33
G
89
Posts: 5,911
Reputation: 62,587

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:18 pm

Godot's editor and node system is simply fantastic. The only thing stopping me from going there is its performance is not as good as c2 + webgl. However, if you're not making an action platformer then it is simply outstanding! Hard to pick a best feature; perhaps the way you can animate anything in a spriter-like animation editor, or the node system, or the 2d lighting system, or the... etc ;).
Learning other engines, but C2 still rocks. Image Image Image Image
B
80
S
22
G
95
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 57,671

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:34 pm

zenox98 wrote:
Havok wrote:
Havok wrote:It's interesting to see where Godot went from 2014 till now. Version 3.0.1 was released a few days ago. Incredible how far they have come and it's a free/open source engine.
Exporting to all major platforms including web. It looks like Deponia 4 was done in it for PS4.
Really quite amazing, getting about $7500 monthly in recurring revenue from Patreon + who knows what other donations.
Visual Scripting that was spoken about was added. Pretty much like Blueprints. Not like Constructs great system which I prefer to the Blueprints way, but cool nonetheless. I think more than anything Unity and GameMaker might have some real competition on their hands with this.
I think I'll download it and play around with it for a bit.


@Havok

Why quote yourself?

Your post makes no sense. Am I missing something?


Yup, I accidentally did that somehow in doing an edit it seems.
B
34
S
9
G
4
Posts: 253
Reputation: 5,367

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:37 pm

Colludium wrote:Godot's editor and node system is simply fantastic. The only thing stopping me from going there is its performance is not as good as c2 + webgl. However, if you're not making an action platformer then it is simply outstanding! Hard to pick a best feature; perhaps the way you can animate anything in a spriter-like animation editor, or the node system, or the 2d lighting system, or the... etc ;).


Do you mean with regards to HTML5? I think they use WebAsembly?
Or do you mean generally speaking?
B
34
S
9
G
4
Posts: 253
Reputation: 5,367

Post » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:44 pm

@Havok, I mean generally speaking for desktop. There are some bunnymark tests kicking around that show, with limited fidelity, that if you have an action game then you're going to meet limits in Godot before you do in c2 with NWjs. Now, that hugely depends on what it is you're looking to do. A point and click role play, some sort of non-action RTS - then Godot is probably the better option for you, just in terms of modularity and the ability to use nodes and scenes (prefabs). If you're looking for bullet hell madness and collisions are not too important then c2 is totally up to it.
Learning other engines, but C2 still rocks. Image Image Image Image
B
80
S
22
G
95
Posts: 2,417
Reputation: 57,671

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests