good scam

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm

@Whiteclaws If they return me the money I'll try another program, meanwhile not.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:26 pm

This is exactly why I always say optimize at the get go (graphics and physics, not just code/scripting). Just because it's fast in development doesn't mean something else won't be later. Building a base foundation to work on that's solid, and testing at each iteration, is very important - to prevent this very thing.

Oh, and by the way, they claimed you can make mobile games, and you can, so it's not a scam. Just because YOUR game doesn't go fast doesn't mean others are not. It all comes down to what kind of game you are making, and the amount of processing (GPU or CPU) required. You have to work within the means of the application. Plenty of people here are having lots of success creating their games within the means of what C2 can do, so again, you have to be fair about your expectations.JoyfulDreamer2013-04-25 22:35:36
Jack of all trades, and master of some.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:29 pm

You don't return the paintbrush after you've bought it because you can't paint.

C2 is not the best development tool for mobile devices, but that's because it's not meant to be; it's a HTML5 game engine, and a bloody good one. The fact mobile devices happen to support HTML5 is simply a convenience.

If you design your game properly you'll get good results, serve scaled images, check for overdraw and do absolutely everything to minimise GPU use, that's the bottleneck for mobile.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:41 pm

@WhiteClaws I really don't think that's a good way to talk to someone who is having problems with a product he/she has supported. Simply telling them to go off and they are just one of other potential clients is definitely not a good look.

I would suggest looking through the forums and reading up on tutorials in the tutorial section. Play around with the program a lot more and get a better grasp on game design and optimization. Any questions you have feel free to search for an answer on the site and if you cannot, don't shy away from asking for a solution to a problem you may have.

Like everyone states, this is an HTML5 game engine and there are currently a lot of limitations to running this sort of thing on mobile devices but it's not impossible. You will most certainly have to cut back on a lot of features that you originally want to include in your project, while some games at this point are not even worth creating for mobile using this engine.

I hope you get the help you need and or a solution to your problem.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:51 pm

Tsk, I wouldn't expect that some would go right away with "yeah go get ur money back and check for other software" without even trying to figure out a helpful solution first. Can you perhaps share the file? Im sure it will be easyer to find a solution that way
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:03 am

@cesarzevil You may be mad and frustrated right now, You may move onto another engine, you may finish your game...

whatever you choose to do one thing will not change, Making a game on any engine, especially for mobile is not that easy.

I don't doubt you have put time into learning the basics of C2, but there is always more to learn, There are many helpful and informative members on here, maybe you will choose to disregard their advice?.

I do know that a personal offer of help, from the developer, would not be included with any other engine.

As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:31 am

I'd suggest you have a read of this thread. It gives insight that mobile developers, even those who make native apps, use many tricks and advanced techniques to get games like C2's (games with large, non tile-based assets) to work smoothly.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:13 am

A few thoughts, in no particular order:

1. 30 FPS is often an acceptable frame-rate for titles on mobile platforms. Whilst a higher FPS value is obviously preferable, there are realistically only a few types of games that require it, and the main examples of those -- namely, racing games and shooters which require very fast and accurate "twitch" style input -- aren't the sorts of things you would be developing with Construct 2 anyway. If your game has been properly created to be frame-rate independent it really should be playable at 30FPS, and even many professionally created titles made with lower-level technologies are perfectly happy with this sort of performance.

2. 30 FPS with 9 objects does not necessarily translate to lower performance with more than 9 objects. Often beginners increase the complexity of their games to some certain level, notice that the frame-rate is beginning to drop and assume that anything more complex will be out of the question, but in reality that depends on a number of factors, and unless you've actually tested to be sure it's entirely possible that you could conceivably add quite a few more objects without (or with only minimal) further drop in performance.

...and as noted above, for a huge variety of games ~30FPS should be good enough for a playable game.

3. Other people have successfully created games with Construct 2 that perform acceptably well on the platforms in question. There are limitations to every system, Construct 2 being no exception, but the fact that other people have succeeded shows that it can be done if you have sensible goals and do things correctly.

4. "Go try something else" is a terrible response. Construct 2 is Ashley and Tom's livelihood, and unless they are able to make a living with it they won't be able to continue their fantastic efforts of constantly adding features and improving things. It really doesn't help them to suggest that someone who complains should just go elsewhere.

It's frustrating when things don't work the way you want, but rather than screaming "scam" it's pretty likely you can actually solve your problem. Making (good) games is hard, no matter how you do it, and whilst an editor like Construct 2 makes the process a lot easier you still have a lot of work to do yourself if you want to create a good game that performs well -- especially if you're targeting a mobile platform with limited capabilities.

Follow the recommended best practices, try the performance tips, and if you're still having trouble ask for community input.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:48 am

@jbadams

The first thing my game is unplayable with 30fps, is a puzzle game, so it is important the physical.

The second with 4 physical objects is also unplayable ... and I was 100 tutorials and nothing changes these things ...

And I still think it's a scam, that I can do to get my money back? go any association?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:12 pm

@cesarzevil, Please post your capx. I think all of us here agree that there's a very good chance your game can be optimised to get the frame rate you want. It's at least worth trying before you give up entirely.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General