Good Website Services?

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:45 am

Hello Scirra Community!

I'm willing to invest on a web site of my own.

Are there any hosting services or website creation tools you recommend?

I'll appreciate your comments and suggestions!

B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 am

I have never really found a good service. They are either over priced, with great service, or they are cheap, with no service.

1to1 hosting is about the worst there is.
Next is webgator.

I am currently using FatCow for my clients, but they are really really anal about the way you use their site.

They do stupid things like insist that a password has a cap, a number and 2 punctuation symbols. YOu also have to keep it between 6-12 characters.

Their entire site is like this. For americans they insist on you entering your phone number as they do in asia and europe.

If you are able to deal with a bunch of really backwards things like this, then they are really reasonable priced, and the servers are pretty fast.

If you want your own server, where you can install your own OS, and run gamed from I suggest http://www.dmehosting.com/openvz-linux-vps.php .

I have a minecraft,Running with Rifels, and an Ace of Spades server.
They are around $5 a month, but like fatcow there is no tech support to speak of.

the DMEW servers have Ubuntu-Server ISO's that can install from a script, so all the website stuff is done for you by default. Things like Apachee are auto installed and somewhat configured for you.jojoe2013-03-02 05:13:28
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 am

Wow! All the information you've written is extremely helpful!

I was considering either goddaddy or fatcow. It seems that the best course of action is to rent a server and build the website from zero, although it will require considerable programming knowledge (which I'm willing to learn).

Joejoe, I appreciate your time for writing an excellent reply!

Thanks a lot!!!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

depending on your budget, chicagovps, buyvm, alienlayer, and of course NFSN.net, ASO is nice too (and already includes fantastico).

I've been a user of the last two and I highly recommend them.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 am

@jojoe What makes 1and1 the worst? I know plenty of folks who run their business sites through 1 and 1. I have been looking at the myself.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 am

@California. Thanks for the recommendation! I've been paying close attention to fatcow, since this is going to be my first website, and Fat Cow's collection of CMS' and Services seem adequate for what I want--a simple website where I can present my projects to the indie community (with a domain of my own). Fat Cow's services are quite similiar to those of bluehost.com. How is your experience so far with ASO? Are you able to use PHP, Ruby and Joomla in it? jegcelorio2013-03-12 07:45:28
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 pm

Yes, RoR, PHP, MySQL, cPanel, Softaculous (Wordpress, Joomla, phpBB, OpenCart, SMF, Prestashop, Drupal, MyBB, Dolphin, more, etc):

http://asmallorange.com/hosting/shared/#tab-two
https://help.asmallorange.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/231/0/softaculous
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm

With the slightly annoying issue of their SMTP servers winding up on SpamCop's black list every couple of months, I've had pretty darn good luck with GoDaddy...but not with their normal hosting.

We've got a Virtual Dedicated Server (i.e. our own server in a VMHost on a shared server with other VMHosted servers.) I went with the 0 support option because...well, that's what I do for one of my businesses.

Currently I'm hosting 6-7 domains off of it (some for our own businesses, some for clients) and have had 99.9999% uptime with no major issues to speak of. Have had to contact my personal support agent 3 times, and all three were simple setup issues that were fixed within 5 minutes.

Our bandwidth is pushing about 25% of our limit. Once we hit around 75% we'll step up and get a dedicated server instead of sharing. Even able to put up a personal minecraft server for friends to play on together with no issues.

Now, their normal shared hosting stuff...was on that for our first web app/game and it ended up a nightmare.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Domain = godaddy
Hosting = hostgator
VPS = hostgator
Dedicated server = Media Temple
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

@jegcelorio I usually go with a different hosting service each year this way I get deals. There all pretty similar some are cheap, and will spam your email trying to sell you extra stuff you don't need daily. And some are a little more expensive, and will give you better service. I guess you get what you pay for.

For a beginner I would recommend Hostgator mainly because of there easy to use cPanel, and great service. They are a little more expensive though.

This year I went with iPage. So far I am very happy with them. If you decide to go with iPage go all the way to the checkout. Then try either going back one page at a time or just try closing the page. I did this while shopping for a new hosting service, and a new page opened offering me everything for $23.88 USD for one year. Wink2013-03-13 16:11:26
B
S
G

Next

Return to Tools and Resources