Google Chrome

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • Google has released their own web browser, called Google Chrome.

I gave it a quick spin, and it looks like early beta stage. A few things are notably absent, such as using smooth scrolling, open bookmarks in tabs, and some parts of the UI are a bit confusing (can't I have a bookmarks dropdown without a whole toolbar?), but overall it looks extremely promising. It's by miles and miles the fastest for javascript, which is important for modern web apps, and it adopts a very interesting process-based runtime for tabs and a tabs-top UI. If it had everything Firefox 3 had, I'd definitely use it - but it doesn't just yet - so I'm not switching over right now. But I think within a year or two, this will be the browser to have!

• Reconsider switching to Chrome. It has the BEST FEATURE EVER.

If a website crashes, only the tab you're browsing currently crashes, not the whole browser. You don't know how many times I had 25+ tabs open on Firefox and it suddenly crashed.

• I really like it, and it works really well. I'd probably switch from IE if it would put downloads in their own separate windows like IE.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Firefox has too many great addons I use to switch. I also thought there was too much google in it, despite being a google browser

It was a solid start, however.

• Yeah, definitely a solid start. And SuperV, that's what I mean by process-based tabs - if one crashes only one tab goes down. But FireFox doesn't crash all that often for me, and if it does it's due to plugins (quicktime especially) - and it can restore tabs usually. So it's a nice feature Chrome has, but that's not quite enough to sway me yet.

• Yep, I had it installed last night for maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It wasn't noticeably faster for regular browsing, and the few-seconds-faster load time for something like gmail isn't enough to want to make me switch just yet.

Basically, I need my fullscreen zoom. And some extensions. And I hate blue.

Granted, someone's already made a dark theme for Chrome, but again, not good enough to switch for yet.

I also don't like how a new tab opens my most visited sites. I don't need a tab to show me what sites I visit most... that's what my bookmark bar is for thanks. When I open a new tab I want a blank Google page, because 99% of the time, I'm opening that new tab to search for something. (And yes, I realize I can ignore the most visited page and just search directly in the url bar but dammit, it's the principle of the matter. I need my customization.)

I also don't like the EULA, but I can overlook it for the most part because I really doubt Google is going to be taking my intellectual property even if they say they can.

• I really like it, and it works really well. I'd probably switch from

IE

if it would put downloads in their own separate windows like

IE

Dude... change to anything but IE. (oh lol its just my opinion!)

As for chrome it looks pretty much ok, if they have Addons like Adblock,Phproxy then im downloading like northstar fist of Jezus Christ.

• Dude... change to anything but IE. (oh lol its just my opinion!)

You should be thankful for IE... if it weren't for IE we wouldn't have awesome alternative browsers to pick from that actually do things right.

And if it weren't for IE users we wouldn't be able to feel superior to anyone

• I also don't like the EULA, but I can overlook it for the most part because I really doubt Google is going to be taking my intellectual property even if they say they can.

Actually it looks like they've redacted their EULA in regards to IP rights so, um... nevermind.

• Dude... change to anything but IE. (oh lol its just my opinion!).

Blah, I hate Firefox. It has always loaded slower, not to mention I just prefer the feel of IE. Besides, IE8 is a good browser.

• but micro$$$$$$$$$$$$$oft!!!

next time firefox loses my tabs again or pisses me off in some other way I'll probably give chrome a try

• Chrome seems pretty decent, haven't found a site where I can actually notice the speed difference though.

I think I'll stick with FF3 it feels more stable and complete.

• Wow, this looks really promising.

Will definitely keep an eye on it, javascript is super quick

• FYI the Firefox 3.1 beta has some javascript speed enhancements if you enable them in about:config.

Seems about on par +/- to Chrome.

• Yeah, I've read Firefox 3.1 will have an even faster javascript engine. But it's nice that this is spurring on competition. Maybe even Internet Explorer will get a faster javascript engine, it seems to be lost in the dust kicked up by Mozilla and Google right now

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)