Google play is about to remove games built with Crosswalk 7

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Google Analytics 4 Plugin for Construct 3 enables metrics and analytics for your games easily.
  • Today i found this alert on Google play developer console:

Security alert

Your app is statically linking against a version of OpenSSL that has multiple security vulnerabilities. You should update OpenSSL as soon as possible.

The vulnerabilities were addressed in OpenSSL versions beginning with 1.0.1h, 1.0.0m, and 0.9.8za. To confirm your OpenSSL version, you can do a grep via ("$ unzip -p YourApp.apk | strings | grep "OpenSSL""). For more information about the vulnerability, please consult openssl.org/news/secadv_20140605.txt.

To confirm that you've upgraded correctly, upload the updated version to the Developer Console and check back after five hours.

Please note, while it's unclear whether these specific issues affect your application, applications with vulnerabilities that expose users to risk of compromise may be considered "dangerous products" and subject to removal from Google Play.

-----------------------------------------

is there is anyway to fix this without building with crosswalk 10 ?! i can't use it for my game, the fps will be 8 or less! please help.

• It is strange Crosswalk 10 to cause slow. I don't have problems here. How are you compiling?

• I'm not the only one facing that, many users too.

I'm compiling using intel XDK, Crosswalk for android

• It's probably a problem in your project. I recently compiled a project with Crosswalk 10 and worked right.

• If it's a problem in my project why it works just fine if I use Crosswalk 7 ?! Note that I'm testing on Galaxy S3 mini. in my country it's a good mobile phone and it's my target device.

please check my game on Google play "Propaganda" with a brain picture on the icon, and tell me what to do.

My Results:-

Canvas 2d> Crosswalk 7 = 45 fps

Webgl > Crosswalk 7 = 8 fps

Canvas 2d > Crosswalk 10 = 8fps

Webgl > Crosswalk 10 = 5 fps

Thanks for your reply

• It's probably a problem in your project. I recently compiled a project with Crosswalk 10 and worked right.

can you tell me exactly what settings you did in both C2 and intel XDK ? and you testing device model please.

• If it's a problem in my project why it works just fine if I use Crosswalk 7 ?! Note that I'm testing on Galaxy S3 mini. in my country it's a good mobile phone and it's my target device.

please check my game on Google play "Propaganda" with a brain picture on the icon, and tell me what to do.

My Results:-

Canvas 2d> Crosswalk 7 = 45 fps

Webgl > Crosswalk 7 = 8 fps

Canvas 2d > Crosswalk 10 = 8fps

Webgl > Crosswalk 10 = 5 fps

Thanks for your reply

Those results are hard to believe; cwalk10 has certainly exhibited lower performance than 7, but I've never seen anyone report the kind of discrepancy you're seeing. Generally a 10-15% regression, not 500%, as with your canvas2d readings. Speaking of your C2D readings, something is very wrong there: you should not being getting faster framerates with canvas2d, which suggests your device may have a GPU that is blacklisted, and unable to run webGL properly.

Are you sure you've exported the same project and built it with v7 and v10? What do you get if you preview your game over wifi with chrome or firefox (yes, there is firefox for android)? Have you managed to test on multiple devices, or have a friend test on their devices?

• TiAm

I found that canvas 2d is much faster than webgl and don't know why

yes it's the same project exported twice (crosswalk 7 and 10)

previewing the game over wifi gave me much better result but the best was crosswalk 7 + canvas 2d and the game was very smooth (45 to 50 fps)

i tested on many devices with others, even powerful devices show dropping in fps when using crosswalk 10

• Egyptoon

What version is on Google Play right now, and how is it config'd? Crosswalk version? WebGL or Canvas2D?

• TiAm

right now if you find "propaganda 1.1" it is the one built with crosswalk 7

• and I'm only using canvas 2d because webgl is very slow !

• I just uploaded another built with crosswalk 7 again and I'll ignore the GooglePlay Alert, I've nothing to do, the best result i can get ever is when i use crosswalk 7, very stable and i can activate High dpi and very smooth without pixel rounding or point sampling. it's just amazing and gave me exactly what i need for my game.

any hope in the near future? what about crosswalk 11 ? or updating crosswalk 7 with new OpenSSL ?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok, that is the version I DL'd off google play. Really nice graphics BTW. Runs good on my 'torture-test' low end android, an LG Ultimate 2.

Do you have the crosswalk 10 version anywhere? There's really no good reason I can think of that a game this simple should be giving you any trouble with performance, except on really, really low end devices, or if something is wrong with your code.

Do you have any logic that does dynamic reformating of the canvas size or resolution?

Have you tried debugging with a cpu meter readout? If you do, use a spritefont, and only update it every 0.5 sec (IIRC that's as often as it changes).

From what I've read, crosswalk 10 is definitely a step down in performance from v7, but your game should still be playable, and those results you are getting with WebGL are way out of whack (it should never, ever, be slower).

FYI, the performance drop from cwalk v7 to v10 goes all the way back to chromium/blink base, so don't get too mad at Intel on this one.

• TiAm

I'm really appreciate your great efforts helping me on this.

please give me your email address to send you the same version of the game built with Crosswalk 10, till now i can't add links to my posts.

and I'll be happy to send you the capx too to check, maybe i did it the wrong way, I'm using sprite fonts not text and changing every sec for score and on collecting bulbs.

window size : 800 * 480, but the layout is 25000 width with lots of objects and destroyed once they came outside the screen but no more than 8 instances appear on screen.

I disabled collision for outside screen obstacles too

I tried to remove bunch of objects and test with no hope so i can't figure out the source of problem.

test device is Samsung Galaxy s3 mini which is in the middle between low and high end devices available in my country, if i notice low performance on it I'll know that it'll be unplayable for about 50% of users regards the android version.

i can't understand why the performance dropped from Xwalk 7 to 10 which should be an "upgrade" ?!! what are they planning to do exactly ?!

• Egyptoon

PM'd you my email. You can send me the capx if you want; if not, at least two arm builds with v10 crosswalk: one with WebGL renderer, one with Canvas2D. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

BTW, your test device is a good match for mine; different hardware, but the performance should be very close (CPU a little slower, GPU about the same, screen rez the same).

Your specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8190_g ... i-5033.php

Mine: http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-L41 ... ifications

Here in the states, both would be considered 'low-end'; not impossible to develop for, but you do have to be more careful to optimize.

FYI, crosswalk is basically a special version of chrome which is packaged up with our C2 exports to run as apps. Unfortunately, chrome is still primarily a browser, and sometimes 'regressions' sneak thru that don't have much effect on browsing, but hit games hard.

It's getting better with time, and the C2 community has been very vocal on the chromium bug tracker. It helps that other major engines are starting to support webGL exports too (Unity, Unreal), which is bringing major developers into the same space as us.

Ultimately, this is the tradeoff we live with: efficient, rapid development / tricky exporting and opts.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)