Google Wave

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Fri May 29, 2009 11:24 pm

I wouldn't call it truly open e-mail-killer solution if it's still a service provided by one company. If there was open protocol so that anywho could create their own wave service which worked with other wave services, I would approve it totally. Currently it's too dubious to have all your personal data in the control of a single enterprise.

...however I know that it would be harder to do that way, technically and in other aspects too.

As a web service, though, it looks promising, or more like incredible.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2009 11:57 pm

[quote="Drasa":24w7z09l]I wouldn't call it truly open e-mail-killer solution if it's still a service provided by one company. If there was open protocol so that anywho could create their own wave service which worked with other wave services, I would approve it totally.[/quote:24w7z09l]

You didn't watch the whole video, did you? ;)

In fact, not only is the protocol open to any competing company, they demonstrate different wave clients running on different servers and communicating with each other in that video.

One of them is even a text-only client.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 am

Oh, really :O

Yeah, you got me, I didn't watch the whole video, I had some things to do and slow connection ;D ...But that's great to hear! I'm really looking forward to this now!
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 2:43 am

Fun fact!
Email is around 40 years old.
That is ancient in technology terms.
Now we know.

And knowing is half the battle.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 am

what happened to Gopher anyway?
and Bulletin Boards?

>_<
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 3:25 am

The world wide web as we know it, ate Gopher.

Bulletin Boards (as in BBSes, not forums and message boards) are still around, but they're just old files ran by old folks with either classic door games (Food Fight, Legend of the Red Dragon, Kannons and Katapults, etc), or some delusion that their file server bbs (with requirement for registration of your personal address and phone etc) is worth the trouble for 80s/90s files that can be found with a google for old shovelware CD collections.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 30, 2009 4:28 am

BBS that takes me back 15 ago.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic