Grave Prosperity: Redux

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:32 am

Finally!
Grave Prosperity: Redux part 1 is now available for purchase at its main site http://www.graveprosperityredux.com/ for $1.99 USD! Part 2 will begin production 2/17/2015!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 pm

Pretty awesome! Can't wait for part 2!
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:30 am

I'm thinking I'll have some updates on it within a week!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:40 pm

Alright, a good amount of progress has been getting made on the making of Part 2! Here is a clip from the intro showing how Amber's sister Miki finds herself in Prosperity. Anyone who has played through the first episode may notice a trend of appearances and/or references to famous Youtubers. I thought it was a sort of fun and silly addition, so in each episode there will be something relating to some of my favorite channels that do LPs!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:16 am

LDC Studios wrote:Image

I see that Miki is the hot sister.

To be completely honest the background youtube video audio in your video was way too loud and seeming to be coming from nowhere. There was the laptop but she didn't interact with it so the audio felt out of place. Maybe if she paused it before picking up her phone, that way it doesn't seem like she left it on while she went to another town lol

Any ETA on it's release? Looking forward to another chapter of the game! (Please reduce enemy hp by at least a little, part 1 was insane).

One thing I am wondering though, are the save games from part 1 transferable to part 2? Otherwise there's no real point in collecting the EXP since there's barely enough enemies for a few Health upgrades and if they don't transfer to continuing parts then you should either lower the EXP points needed by a lot or maybe just build it as one giant game.

So do EXP and upgrades transfer to part 2 and onwards? Important question.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:59 am

Who knows? Maybe she did leave the Grumps playing while she went out of town? People do weird things all the time haha.. I am suprised that the audio was loud for you though. I actually had it turned down pretty low compared to other videos from Part 1. That whole audio bit was meant to be a sort of an easter egg anyway, so for anyone who doesn't know who was being referenced there, it is going to seem out of place. Much like the Markiplier Cheezits poster in Part 1. It looks totally out of place, and rightly so, as it is an easter egg and meant to be silly.
Anyway, as far as the EXP system goes, yes they will transfer over to the next parts that are released. That would just be straight up bad game design if they didn't. And the difficulty will remain the same for Amber. The game will do absolutely no hand holding and difficulty will be based around skill. The better you become, the easier the game will feel. However, the combat system that you have become familiar with will not be same one that Miki uses in Part 2. She will not just be a re-skinned version of her sister, so everything from her combat system to her menu screen will be very different. Even the attitude to approach the enemies with will be different. In short, Amber is a seasoned badass, Miki is not. Plus Miki deals primarily with firearms instead of bladed weapons. So expect more of a classic Resident Evil sort of feel from Miki's scenerios.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:57 am

Actually, scratch that last statement there. Miki's scenario will be much closer to Parasite Eve 2, for anyone familiar with those old titles. Which is also a hint toward future game mechanics. In fact, while I'm on this subject I may as well toss out some interesting points of interest on the origins of the game.
Grave Prosperity originally started out as a Parasite Eve fan game back in 2007 on the RPG Maker. I was such a huge fan of the series that I wanted to continue the story where Parasite Eve 2 left off. Amber Ridge was originally going to be young Eve all grown up (Yes, she was a blonde in her first concepts). But as time went on, the story began to evolve into its own thing and Eve became Amber and then Miki was developed as a part of the new story. The city of Prosperity was going to be a deserted town similar to the Dry Field in PE 2 as well.
As the years went on and the story grew, Grave Prosperity eventually came out of the whole thing. Some of Amber's history in Redux is based off my own, Gabriel's character pretty much is me (Hell, I even voice his character) and the leading source of power (and evil) in the story is also an idea influenced by my own past experiences. It's kind of funny that I'm divulging all this info all of a sudden. I just got home from work, and for some reason it just felt like good timing.
Anyway, there's some fun little facts surrounding Grave Prosperity!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:45 am

Sounds really fun! I actually always wanted to play the Parasite Eve games but never actually got around to it, same thing with Ys games but I found them on GOG.com so I purchased 1-4 (beat 1 and 2 couple days ago).

As for the difficulty, I've got no problem with the game being hard. It's just that the ghoul/doll enemies feel like their HP is unnecessarily high (Part 1's end boss definitely had that problem), although I guess that would get solved once the player has leveled up their attack power.

Do keep in mind that there's a line between player skill and what the in-game character allows the player to do.
E.g. There's been a few times when I first got the machete that I could die, and when the game reloaded I'd have health missing that's not supposed to be missing, with enemy already behind me. Or that they sometimes spam their teleport a lot, which is something you can't predict when they do (I suggest a slight telegraph, but don't make it a red herring).

The gameplay, controls and mechanics for me personally are all a solid 10/10 although you should really look at changing enemy HP a little, story gets an 6.5/10 until I know more because so far it can be summarized as "Car broke down, entered what's essentially Silent Hill without fog, well dragon".

One thing I like is that you know as much of what's going on as the player, so there's no need for character narration telling the story since it can be done via gameplay and assisted by cut-scenes. That's really, really well done in my opinion.

To make the best with you game, you should play test extensively after adding, changing or removing every feature, mechanic or value (e.g. HP, Damage) to see how they feel when you actually play them. Since there's a really big difference between what developers want to happen and what actually does. So there's no amount you can play test that will ever be too much.

A really good way to play test is to get some friends or such and get them to play the game, then study their reactions and facial expressions.Since these players are essentially who you're marketing the game to, if a lot of them say something feels unfair or a section is too hard or easy then you should definitely look into it.

A game I played that made extensive use of that was Mark of the Ninja, if you play the Special Edition you'll find dev logs which you can read. A lot of the game's design, especially map design was guided by play testers. Not to mention that they saw players use mechanics and player abilities in way they never thought of, which can lead to further design ideas which improve the game.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:26 am

Oh trust me, I play test every aspect of the game many many times as it is being developed. Which is why I know the difficulty is fine where it is. As you level up your strength and find new weapons, the enemies hp will not be a concearn. You have to remember that your character is encountering these creatures for the first time, and Amber really isn't a physically strong person in general. She isn't even 120lbs. But the more you level up, the stronger she'll get and the more the monster's hp will make sense. Plus once you get ahold of guns and your powers, things will really start to fall in place.
I have played all the way through episode 1 more than 20 times using both the gamepad and the keyboard just to make sure that every action and every interactable object works properly. That being said, there are still glitches that pop up on different computers that i cannot duplicate on my own computer. So no matter how much play testing I do, there will always be those random freak bugs that will occur on different systems from time to time. Kinda like the hp being depleted when it wasn't supposed to be.
Enemy difficulty and spamming attacks are actually random. the teleportation move the Scavenger uses is set to a randomly generated variable, same with the Dweller's attacks and the Berserker's dash attack. This means that they could potentially use their specials 5 times in a row, or not at all during an encounter. I won't change that though, as that is what keeps the fight organic and unpredictable. Nothing ruins a fighting game worse than having enemies with a patern. Once you figure it out the fight may as well be over. Plus I taylor my games to myself. Personally I could care less how many people like it or not. Not to sound like an ass, but I won't make a game that doesn't appeal to me. As a lone developer, I will have the most time with the game and if I don't like what I am working on then I will not put the passion my work deserves into it. I know the game isn't that difficult because I know that I can run through it without taking any damage at all. And if I can do it then many other gamers out there can pick up the system as well. It is probably a poor sales approach to say that I don't care about the gamer's issues with the difficulty, but then again I am not a sales man. I am a developer, and I am not even really doing this for the money, I am doing it out of the love for making video games. I just happen to be making money while doing it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:16 am

LDC Studios wrote:Oh trust me, I play test every aspect of the game many many times as it is being developed. Which is why I know the difficulty is fine where it is. As you level up your strength and find new weapons, the enemies hp will not be a concearn. You have to remember that your character is encountering these creatures for the first time, and Amber really isn't a physically strong person in general. She isn't even 120lbs. But the more you level up, the stronger she'll get and the more the monster's hp will make sense. Plus once you get ahold of guns and your powers, things will really start to fall in place.
I have played all the way through episode 1 more than 20 times using both the gamepad and the keyboard just to make sure that every action and every interactable object works properly. That being said, there are still glitches that pop up on different computers that i cannot duplicate on my own computer. So no matter how much play testing I do, there will always be those random freak bugs that will occur on different systems from time to time. Kinda like the hp being depleted when it wasn't supposed to be.
Enemy difficulty and spamming attacks are actually random. the teleportation move the Scavenger uses is set to a randomly generated variable, same with the Dweller's attacks and the Berserker's dash attack. This means that they could potentially use their specials 5 times in a row, or not at all during an encounter. I won't change that though, as that is what keeps the fight organic and unpredictable. Nothing ruins a fighting game worse than having enemies with a pattern. Once you figure it out the fight may as well be over. Plus I taylor my games to myself. Personally I could care less how many people like it or not. Not to sound like an ass, but I won't make a game that doesn't appeal to me. As a lone developer, I will have the most time with the game and if I don't like what I am working on then I will not put the passion my work deserves into it. I know the game isn't that difficult because I know that I can run through it without taking any damage at all. And if I can do it then many other gamers out there can pick up the system as well. It is probably a poor sales approach to say that I don't care about the gamer's issues with the difficulty, but then again I am not a sales man. I am a developer, and I am not even really doing this for the money, I am doing it out of the love for making video games. I just happen to be making money while doing it.

Good point, you're right. Guess it must just be me, maybe I've just gotten used to really obvious telegraphs and difficulty that scales with the player instead of it being fixed at the start.

On another note, as the series progress to part 2, 3, 4. Will all the areas of the previous part be accessible in the next part?

Saw the combat video by the way, feeling like such a noob.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests