Greed - a proc gen dungeon crawler sort of thing

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 am

For outsider it's really hard to guess what's going on. I did get this feeling that the slowdown is somehow related to display movement and revealing/drawing the new areas of the map?

I really like the way light works.. It does get a bit slow occasionally (when revealing a long passage), but otoh it kinda looks cool to show light flooding in the area. It might actually be a neat trick to add some effect (flicker, flare, swirl ??) to the newly lit squares.. just for a second (or less..)..

As said before. It looks interesting and I do hope you'll keep on making full game
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:42 pm

Good work until now! :)
B
S

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks, this seems to be getting a good response so far and it's really encouraging! Another little update: generator now tells you what it's doing and generates a lot faster; more tunnels, and doors. It's starting to feel a lot more dungeony now :twisted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:21 pm

New update - overhauled graphics a bit, added some furniture and a bitchin' metal soundtrack. I'm slowly getting there with the enemy AI, expect to see killer rats in the tunnels soon! :D

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:03 pm

:mrgreen: Just one wish.. Add a button to silence that 'music'

I really like the doors, but I'd like to see option to smash those barrels and collect loot
Need help? Upload .capx file with your question.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 pm

;) I'm not a big fan of metal either, but something about that track just fitted the pace I have in mind for in the game. It's one of a few options though.

I'll be adding loot at the same time as I add enemies, and barrels will be very much smashable. Next update should be a bit more substantial!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:28 pm

Really nice work, had fun exploring.

At first I thought it was a room and 2 doors showed no hallways was like WTF.

but good work!
B
S

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm

Pretty cool. I'm on the fence as to whether to use procedural generation or create good old fashioned platformer levels in the game I'm working on. I don't have any digging, just a lot of shooting and jumping so I'll probably go with the latter. Something like this might be fun to try in the future, though.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Cool - I haven't really thought about how I'd do procedural generation for a platformer, I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult as long as you've worked out the parameters (how many tiles your character can jump, etc). I like level design too, but it's quite satisfying to just have a bunch of values you can fiddle with and then watch the results when you load the level!

I'm still currently doing enemy AI and loot, progress is a bit slow as I don't have much time to work on it over the next week. I would like to revisit the proc gen engine a bit later on though - I feel like the levels are a bit generic at the moment, they could do with a few more wildcards like non-rectangular rooms, big areas of cave, locked doors etc. If anyone's got any suggestions, shout em out!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Everything seemed to run smoothly on my PC. Looks like you have the makings of something cool there. My only real gripe is digging with aswd, but I was weened on nintendo controllers so take that for what it's worth.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests