B
S
G

Post » Thu May 29, 2014 4:06 pm

In this update:

-Dwarf always spawns in a non-hostile, ringless room
-New ring! Go find it!
-Mana potions. Recharge them rings
-Tunnel spiders. Try not to get poisoned...
-You can now equip up to 2 rings, use Q and E to switch between them
-Statues and fountains, yay

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106 ... index.html
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 30, 2014 8:46 am

Nice looking game, has come a long way already :D

I played around, found both rings, the fire one range is a tad short.
I wasn't able to die, my health was gone by some spiders attacking/poisening me, and my life bars were empty and I was able to keep playing.
I thought the the rats looked a bit ... weird lol, kinda mangey, and hard to kill :
Nice work !
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 30, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks @lennaert. Yep, still no way to die as yet, that's just me being lazy as it's easier to test things that way! I guess I could just write it in and leave it disabled while I'm testing. The rat sprites are from an old Bitmap Brothers game called The Chaos Engine, but everything's placeholder at the moment, all the sprites (including the dwarf) will eventually be replaced when I get around to getting some custom art drawn.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. My plan for the long term is that you'll be able to smelt rings together to combine their effects, so a sort of build-your-own twin stick shooter/roguelike hybrid. With mining!
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 31, 2014 11:46 pm

Looks and feels great! Exploring places and finding gold is really addictive but damn that spider scared the crap out of me when i first saw one! So yeah the game surprised me! :D Gotta try this another time. Awesome and impressive work and the map generating blew up my mind.
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:27 am

Hey lolpaca you sent me a PM regarding art but I cannot PM you back as I do not have the required rep to do so yet. If you want to PM me another way to contact you like email or a skype address I can contact you that way.
B
S

Post » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:36 pm

Whoa, some big changes from the last time I played! It's shaping up very well, good work!
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 am

Good work @lolpaca.
Many (and fast) progress since the last post.
The sound made a great difference.
B
S

Post » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks, everyone! The development's reaching an exciting stage, the next one should be a biggie - loads of new rings, new enemies and a locked boss room to take on, so I'll finally have something close to a complete level :D

I'd also be interested in hearing how it's performing on people's machines: it always runs fine on my home PC, but that's a pretty hefty beast designed for playing your Skyrims and whatnot. On my work laptop (which doesn't even have a graphics card afaik) it slows to such a crawl that it's practically unplayable.

This project is intended for Node-Webkit export for reasonably well-equipped desktops, but I'm conscious that there are a lot of particle effects, collision checks and so on going on and I want to keep performance as smooth as I can. Please let me know if it's getting laggy or jerky and if so, what kind of setup you have. (You can press "I" to toggle dev info on and off)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:49 am

This is great! I'd love a tutorial on this

The slowdown might be because of all the collisions with all the tiles. I think there's an example out there that makes it so the only tiles with collisions enabled are the ones directly around the player.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests