Greenworks a node-webkit plugin [STEAMWORKS]

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:44 pm

Amazing release of sourcecode for a connection from node-webkit to the steamworks api for steam integration.

https://github.com/greenheartgames/gree ... .3.0-alpha

@Ashley - At a glance, does this bring us *any* closer to an official Steam plugin for Construct2? <3 (puppy dog eyes)
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:26 pm

I think that is would make sense for c2 to officially support steam. They have export options for so much...

C2 even has tools for the wiiU - you can't get them unless you are a licensed nintendo developer and I would think that the steam tools could be treated in the same way; without approval you can't get it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm

ruskul wrote:steam tools could be treated in the same way; without approval you can't get it.

Why would we need approval to get it? I don't understand... Nintendo did it probably to protect their store from getting flooded with shovelware, which they are consistently emphasize on quality, while imposing no fees on developers, am I right? Steam already does this with the greenlight fee, am I missing something?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:24 am

Ditto @DuckfaceNinja. There's already two fees getting a game to the Steam, first the C2 license, then integrating a Steam plugin, then the Greenlight fee, and then the Greenlight process. I really doubt that another step would accomplish much.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:02 pm

DatapawWolf wrote:Ditto @DuckfaceNinja. There's already two fees getting a game to the Steam, first the C2 license, then integrating a Steam plugin, then the Greenlight fee, and then the Greenlight process. I really doubt that another step would accomplish much.

What 'steam plugin' must be integrated to the c2 project?
B
S

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Bumping this to add even more *puppy dog eyes* than @80bit.

Look, that's a whole army of super cute beggars here! (* v *)
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:48 pm

@DuckfaceNinja - You are correct. What I meant is you have to pay the greenlight fee to get access to the tools. (I was using approval synonymously with paying for greenlight. Sorry for the confusion.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:56 pm

@ruskul , I would even go as far as to say you have to be a registered Steamworks developer in order to gain right to use this 'Plugin' if it is made.
(So it would implement that you have signed NDA and your game (probably) has been greenlit).
- Conti
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:24 am

Yay, getting closer Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:46 am

SgtConti wrote:@ruskul , I would even go as far as to say you have to be a registered Steamworks developer in order to gain right to use this 'Plugin' if it is made.
(So it would implement that you have signed NDA and your game (probably) has been greenlit).
- Conti

This is 100% correct. A steamworks plugin would only be usable to Greenlit Games / Games sold through a publisher for sale on Steam. One would *need* access to the API calls tied directly to a steam approved game / app to have a functioning plugin.

That being said, having a functioning plugin steps up the presentation & quality of any Construct 2 game released on Steam and in turn makes C2 an even more of an easy choice when it comes to developing games for Mac/PC/Linux.

The question might come down to business though. Will enough people purchase / upgrade licenses for C2 to justify the development time required to implement greenworks into an official plugin..? I don't know. All i know is as soon as I get my first payout from steam, I already owe Scirra a chunk of that to upgrade to a business license. It's not much, but im sure there are a few others in a similar position, and many more yet to come.

**continuing puppy dog eyes for @Ashley**
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General