Grid Defense

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:39 am

Beta release of the tower defense type game, Grid Defense, is ready for your enjoyment!

Be warned that it can be quite challenging. You have limited funds and you need to make some fast. You can't place many turrets, either. Turrets gain experience when they gain kills; keep that in mind.

Please post any bugs, suggestions, balance issues and such here.

Grid Defense (cap)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 am

Very nice and very polished.

I like it alot :).
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:27 pm

wave 206... still going... repeatedly pressing spacebar as fast as possible.... enemies... not getting to the 3rd corner...

Looks great man, but it's too easy. I'm just going to let it run all by itself and see where it ends up. :D

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Very nice, and polished too :D

If you want to help me with my next TD project I'll contact you when I'm finished with retrorun.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:25 pm

Updated! I've reworked the experience system into the basic "increase stats slightly after each kill" as well as other minor changes (greener grass for better contrast, slightly more linear difficulty etc.)

Let me know if it gets out of control again. ;)

SuperV: I'll probably be up for it if I'm not occupied with another project. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:40 pm

LOL something is up with one of my cannons :P

It seems to have turned into a "supercannon" with infinite range and a really fast reload. It can take out a boss all on it's own before it even rounds the first corner. It's just that one that seems to be bugged though.

Edit:
Oops, I think I might have been wrong. It looks like that particular cannon just leveled up a lot faster than all the others. Perhaps because it was in a prime location to take out enemies on the straightaway.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:17 am

Wave 19 is the highest where I've got (with the new version). Post your scores >:D!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:27 am

Strange bug here - if you play a game, lose, then press enter, the next game is super easy. Either all the turrets are super-powered or the enemies only have 1HP. I just took out the boss with a single shot!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:54 am

Yeah, I noticed that in next game the enemies start with 0 health. I'll see if I can crush this bug...

Updated: Okay, I've balanced the game some more, turrets shouldn't get crazy benefits now, they'll be more streamlined. Their costs have been streamlined as well, shouldn't rise so sharply anymore.

Updated Grid Defense

However, this bug... When the game ends with your loss, it is paused, then you press enter, that is when it resets everything - delete all game objects but the static ones, reset global variables (Wave to 0).

When you start the game again, it should be as it has been at the beginning. However, bugs have this amount of health:
4.94065645841247e-323

Looking into the event sheet, this is how the health is assigned (at time of spawn):

> Spawn object Enemy on layer "Game"
> Set Enemy 'Level' to global('Wave')
> Set Enemy 'Health' to Enemy ('Value')*global('Wave')^1.1

In Debug, I observed this:
The global 'Wave' is fine, it correctly increments with each wave.
The Enemy 'Value' is fine as well, it never changed from the initial value.
So it should be (for value of 5, first wave=1): 5 * 1^1.1=5
But the health we observe is near zero.

The event obviously is firing, as the enemies are spawning, but the health is set incorrectly.

This bug is a serious one, I can't figure out why is it happening other than some quirk in the engine or runtime. I am afraid I am stumped here.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Okay, I think I have squashed the bug... hopefully. I think it was an error with typecasting, though I am not sure.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Your Creations