Growing

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • I had an idea to do a game similar to Spore's first stage cell game. Where the player consumes other simple organisms and get's larger. The thing is C2 doesn't support SVG or smooth scaling graphics. So i'm seeking some insight as to how to handle the growth of the player. Let alone the potential large number of objects. At some point the tiny creatures become nothing.

• I had an idea to do a game similar to Spore's first stage cell game. Where the player consumes other simple organisms and get's larger. The thing is C2 doesn't support SVG or smooth scaling graphics. So i'm seeking some insight as to how to handle the growth of the player. Let alone the potential large number of objects. At some point the tiny creatures become nothing.

Maybe a small sprite replaced with a larger sprite with an animation for the growth in between?

• hmm. I can see this working for the player well enough. I'm concerned about the other objects. Like the creatures that start massive giant... maybe something a long those lines can work.

• Use High resolution PNG instead of vectors

• PNG, they scale well. I will try with those for sure.

• Why not just add an amount to the sprite height and width ?

• Scaling a sprite isn't too much of a problem. But in design moving from simple cell organism to the size of a humpback well does. So that's I'm looking for some insight on how to handle this form of sprite size evolution.

I thought maybe I could use one level of sprites, but no that won't work. However the other problem is still lofty.

Which is handling all the hundred of cell organisms. THen evolving to a small fish. then medium fish, big fish, dolphin, shark, small whale.... so on until reaching cuthulu like sizes :D

Hmm after writing that. I think what would work would be size steps. Where players can see the larger at 5 steps ahead as black background that are VERY large. Then as your figure grows have them scale down until they are only 2 steps. using steps as an abstract reference.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What about having everything shrink instead of growing. That way you dont need to worry about zooming. Then, if your npc creatures scale is too small, destroy them.

• Might be problematic with level design depending on how it's all laid out, though.

• What about having everything shrink instead of growing. That way you dont need to worry about zooming. Then, if your npc creatures scale is too small, destroy them.

ooh.. yeah. that works really well. Here I was concerened about a map that would be 100000000x100000000, but that method will work fantastic. I was so stuck about making things larger. I missed the easy solution of making everything else smaller :)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Super appreciate it :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)