Guide: Fix Jank in r190+ Node-Webkit Export

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:01 am

@TiAm

aaahhh... it feels smooth like hot knife going trough butter :DDD feels damn good after so long of seeing the newest NW
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 am

Colludium wrote:I know that we rely upon 3rd party wrappers or browser for - everything html5.... But I am pretty sure that if we contracted out our export to desktop option and it broke over night then the message would not be to wait until things improve (indeterminate time frame, could be 2-6 months) - a rapid reversion to what worked before would be implemented whilst the problem was addressed. I could not imagine this happening with Unity, for example. This should be no different IMO; I don't understand how a high standard of product can be confused with using a wrapper's latest update.

Agreed that C2 and node webkit should be completely separated (in fact, this is what they were trying to do, but the jank caught them off guard, still, they could have done it better I think, like giving the older ones and getting it to still work). But for some what da hell reason, node webkit is a part of C2 license (even though I would be confident that only the easiness of export is, as node webkit cannot be a selling point, not sure about the term of use of node webkit, that and why would it be a selling point anyway when we think about it, it is a freaking html5 engine, wrappers were always an operation to do separetely, if we have to build mobile apps via the XDK, why not for node webkit, never understood that).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:17 pm

I agree @Aphrodite, and hope I didn't come across too harshly before. I see the reliance on third party software as a strength and a weakness with c2. The strength is it allows our one man developer coding hero to focus on the editor; the weakness is it allows our one man developer coding hero to focus on the editor.

Ashley is right to play the long game, but by dismissing the current quality of c2 desktop exports as a temporary glitch (with an unknown fix date for people who don't have the confidence to use the command prompt and manage their own export - precisely the kind of person who buys a no code game engine) it makes it appear a bit like c2 is still in development.

Or rather, we feel every third party problem - but we have control over this one so we should exercise that control. As to Ashley's inability to reproduce the problem, it might well be a system specific issue, but I imagine that any hardware with less than awesome spec will be affected (must have a 60 hz screen, I think). This test was created by someone else and it clearly shows the problem in Chrome (sorry, can't go into Node).

I didn't mean to come over unappreciative of the work done so far by Scirra, I really highly rate c2 for its unique approach to game dev... but it sometimes feels like we don't know where the wind will take us next, or when.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:56 pm

All those steps to get the 0.10.5 version?

just download it from here: https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webki ... d-versions

N00b!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:40 pm

@Danwood

You sure it's the same? If so, I'd be glad to lop off the 'install r184, grab nw files out of it' steps. I'll check it out tonight.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:12 am

@TiAm Have ever you added "chromium-args": "--disable-gpu-vsync in package.json? You shouldn't have wasted your time.

I've tried to compare...
A= node-webkit without --disable-gpu-vsync
B= node-webkit with --disable-gpu-vsync:

A= runs smooth in start, then some seconds later, it starts to look Jerkiness in overtime, sometimes it appears smooth motion but not longer.
B= runs smooth in start, no sign of Jerkiness in overtime, but there is mild jerkiness, looks kinda stable but not perfect.

I believe B would be workaround to reduce jerkiness.

Judge yourself.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 am

I completely see Ashley point of view of supporting HTML5/WebGl. It is progressing at an insane pace and really starting to deliver even on mobile.

What I'd love to see from Scirra is taking this exporters into their own hand/control a bit more. Deliver a working version of node webkit (and don't update if it breaks), and also one for Cordova, since it's going to be the standard for mobile export.

Is it going to be so overkill?

Now imagine this scenario happening with autoupdating webviews on mobile :(
B
S

Post » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:37 am

When I export via HTML Website, I see .js files. These are JavaScript files, right?

If Construct2 had the ability to export in JavaScript for desktop, then we'd lose the reliance of Node-Webkit and could export native desktop applications.

But then again, Construct2 writes it's code in HTML5. But imagine if it could alternate between HTML5 and JavaScript, or maybe something else like C#. That would be make the engine even more powerful and give it some real big desktop chops. But dreams are dreams.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:47 am

Nesteris wrote:When I export via HTML Website, I see .js files. These are JavaScript files, right?

If Construct2 had the ability to export in JavaScript for desktop, then we'd lose the reliance of Node-Webkit and could export native desktop applications.

But then again, Construct2 writes it's code in HTML5. But imagine if it could alternate between HTML5 and JavaScript, or maybe something else like C#. That would be make the engine even more powerful and give it some real big desktop chops. But dreams are dreams.

Construct *does* export javascript... thats why we need something like node-webkit to make an executable out of it because otherwise it requires a browser to run. tho are you confusing javascript with java?
Made Cosmochoria - www.cosmochoria.com
Currently working on Slayaway Camp - www.slayawaycamp.com
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 am

@80bit
Pretty sure Construct exports HTML5, and the Node-Webkit is an offline Chrome browser, so it's actually emulating the game being played in a browser. The executable is the Node-Webkit Chrome browser. I think, I could be wrong.

I'm not confusing javascript with java, I know the difference, although I might be confusing something else.
Also I think that if Construct2 did export JavaScript and not HTML5, we'd be able to create those "native" desktop applications everyone wants instead of having to go through Node-Webkit. Unity uses C#, Boo and a variant of JavaScript and as far as I know it doesn't need exporters like Node-Webkit.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General