Guide: Fix Jank in r190+ Node-Webkit Export

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:49 pm

TiAm wrote:@Silverforce
It's looking like we are a long way from a smooth running version of node, short of using 10.5. :(

It's very disappointing, because it infers all those clever people working on chromium... didn't even play test games on it, else they would have noticed the obvious stutter.

I was showing my C2 build preview on chrome to my nephews the other day, first time they seen it... 5 seconds in, they said "its a bit jerky, whats wrong?"...
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:39 pm

@silverforce

I just don't get why this isn't farther up the priority list. I thought Google wanted us to move toward rich web, cloud computing, and browser based apps...so why is this fundamental display glitch still around?

I really don't have anything against the devs, and it may very well be a difficult problem to solve. I'm just baffled that this hasn't commanded a higher priority.

When simple games drop frames on a powerful laptop/desktop, it's hard not to come away with the impression 'This isn't ready for prime time'. It reflects bad on us -- the developers trying to create content to power the rich web -- and in doing so, damages people's perception of the browser as a new kind of OS, one of Google's primary goals.

It's frustrating because it feels so damn close with Canary...
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm

@Prominent

I'm 99% sure that the same approach would work with the mac and linux exporters. Basically, delete the contents of the new mac32 or linux32 folders, copy in the files from the old. There are no 'old' 64bit exporters, as chromium 35 didn't have a 64bit version.

I can't test on mac, and I haven't tried yet on linux, so if either one works, please let us know.

Be aware that node-webkit on linux is still suffering from a missing dependency on newer versions of linux. My understanding is that this problem will be around for awhile yet. See here for more details:

https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webki ... budev.so.0
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:32 pm

@TiAm , that seems a bit outside my understanding. I guess I'll have to wait to release on those platforms.. Or just release the jittery versions and update them later when things are fixed.

I don't know what files to replace. Would it work if I reinstalled the old version of construct that used the 10.5 node, and then copy those.. then reinstall the new construct2, and then paste over them? Or are there specific files I need?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm

@Prominent

Just look at my original post. All you would be doing is copying the mac files instead of the ones for windows.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:14 pm

@TiAm , alright, I replaced the osx32 files, and I had a friend test it on his mac. It worked for him, so I assume it was successful!..
I still have to find someone to test the linux version.. but the issue about the missing dependency for newer versions of linux is worrisome as I'm not sure how to create that shell wrapper thing- if that can be done in windows, or if I need linux to do that?.. if I release on linux, would that be required?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:46 am

@Prominent

You cannot release for Linux until the dependency on the obsolete library is fixed in newer NW versions. If you want to, you have to follow their tweak to fix the problem.

Currently, the export as is without the fix, is broken on many Linux OS and has been broken for a LONG time now.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:55 am

Alright, thanks for the help guys..
I managed to get it running on windows/osx/linux with node-webkit 10.5
I used Hexedit to change the 0 to a 1, allowing it to run on newer distributions of linux.
At this point, I am prepared to release the game, but will spend a little time seeing if I can polish anything else or improve anything that could use improving.
:)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:04 am

Would you be kind enough to write a little "how to" thread so we all know how to export for linux? That would be a fantastic christmas gift : )
Image | @AurelRegard on twitter
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:14 am

@Aurel , I'll write one based upon what I understand, which probably isn't much, but it might be useful to some who are a bit hesitant/unsure about it. Give me a few moments to write something up.

edit: alright, here is a link to the thread describing what I did.. https://www.scirra.com/forum/my-process-for-exporting-to-windows-osx-linux_t121514
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General