[Guide me to host a game] Recommended VPS

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
You can become a REAL game developer. Learn the basics and get resources that will let you get profits from your game!
  • Intro:

I'm currently trying (hopefully able to reach completion) to build a multiplayer game which the game is hosted by dedicated server purely made in C2. I'm at the stage which I'm able to build a system that hosted by a MASTERHOST (hosting the lobby of unlimited peers) , and the MASTERHOST are able to create SUBHOST to host a duel between 2 player. I'm as far as able to setup the SUBHOST (browser create new tab), and currently working on to get the 2 player to join the room created by the SUBHOST. (credit: much thanks to blackhornet tutorial on MP tictactoe )

Procrastination factor:

I've been reading the forum and saw Ashley's recommendation to create new tab if I want to create multiple host so that's why I went that way, but having zero knowledge about hosting a game made me miserable. As far as what I have researched, it seems the best way to create dedicated server by purely using C2 is to be able to control/use a web browser in a server. I can't find any webhosting that allows me to access via remote-desktop, most economical solution I managed to find is at least a VPS with remote-desktop enabled.

The question, tl;dr:

Any of you with experience using hosting service (webhost, VPS, dedicatedserver), please recommend me an economical one for testing and familiarization with hosting purposes, which are remote-desktop access enabled.

Please tell me if there are better ways to approach this case (running browser in server) with very minimal cost, or suggest a way if it is possible to run browser (creating new tab, issue command to it) without having to use remote desktop. I'm ruling out php, mysql whatsoever for now because I know nothing of it, but do tell me if it is important.

I hope you all can understand my question and please tell me if I understand things incorrectly.

• No response? hmmm I'm a sad panda then.

However, I shortlisted 2 option for now which is goDaddy VPS and 1and1 vps.

I've read a lot of review, all seems to contradict each other, so I'm relying on actual experience from Scirra community to give suggestion.

It's a rather a substantial different comparing these two's cost, but I can't help to assume that cheaper (1and1) means less reliable or maybe the more expensive (godaddy) is just simply ripping off people, what do you think?

• Hi. I was told it "should" work if I get a Windows server to run a browser with multiple tabs on the Server (but I dont know how exactly to do it, yet).

My local PC won't work as server because my upstream is too low to handle more than a few players.

The German website from 1&1 says you have 30 days to test a server and get your money back. Dont know if this applies to 1and1.com, too.

• 1&1.com does offer the 30days money back guarantee but I was turned off a bit by a review for random forum saying that the offer is a bit tricky, he said that the refund will be subjected to valid reason.

Reasons such as losing interest on the service or simply dont like the service wont let you get your money back as they will retaliate that their customer are not reading T&C properly.

Only strict technical unsatisfaction will give you chance of getting the money back, such as not getting expected uptime and promised bandwidth/processing power, with proof that is, and it is very unlikely since most user banged into that kind of problem only after one month.

• Hey Ninja,

I'd just like to suggest that you don't rush into this.

Especially with the two companies you've mentioned in your first post (I've hosted with both and hence the advise).

A VPS starts around $30/month and will give you 2GIG or RAM and cPanel.

There are a few companies who offer this package at that starting price.

The reason why I am commenting here is that I too am looking to move host because my host uses caching which "might" be the problem why some of my C2 apps load unpredictable.

A quick advise to you is to:

Register your domain name(s) with a different company that you host with (who ever that will be)!

Trust me. Sooner or later, you will thank me for that.

Keep us up to date because this topic interests many of us.

Good luck

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • vancouver I'm not rushing into it just so that you know (my game is still far away from completion), I'm not familiar to a lot of things regarding hosting a server, so the thread meant to be a preparation for me (or others) before jumping into something serious.

I have not yet look into cPanel, whatever that is, so I'm taking baby steps to learn about this. I'm currently learning how to use Debian (so HARD!!) since yesterday as a preparation (turned my old junky laptop into Debian OS

The only way which I think I can do this is to have the ability to remote-desktop the server, and make sure I'm able to use the browser, since my dedicated gamehost/server is made purely in C2. Still fighting with major bugs/exploits with my project though.

A quick advise to you is to:

Register your domain name(s) with a different company that you host with (who ever that will be)!

I'm interested in this, mind explain a bit further on your experience?

• A quick advise to you is to:

I'm interested in this, mind explain a bit further on your experience?

Most hosting services want to give you a "free" domain with your package.

DON'T go for that! Don't take the free domain offer because in the end, it is not worth it.

Register your domain with someone like namecheap.com or godaddy.com

Doing so puts YOU in control.

Example:

I "used to" host with one of the two companies you shortlisted.

When their service fell apart (tech support that barely speaks english I decided to move to a different host.

Getting the domain names away from them was a nightmare! Days of frustration and in the end, loss of a few domains because I decided to let them go instead of keep on fighting.

In contrast. If you host your domain name with one company and your content with another, YOU are in full control.

When your web host messes up (your page loads slow and no one cares. Everything is your fault etc...) then you can tell them fix it or else.

If they don't, you have to power to move on because all it takes is to log in to your account and change the nameservers so that they point to your new host. In about two hours (max 24 hours) your website will point to your new host.

Web hosting companies will treat you nicer if you host your names with someone else.

Last word of advise: GET A SSL CERTIFICATE!

A VPS will be under constant attack so you need to send your login name and password encrypted. Don't even think about a VPS without an SSL certificate!

There is so much to know about hosting ... I should write a tutorial ...

Anyway, this is enough to get you going.

Check out bluehost.com or hostgator.com

I have dealt with them and they have acted as expected. Why didn't you shortlist them? (just curious)

• vancouver thanks for the golden informations!

There is so much to know about hosting ... I should write a tutorial ...

Do that please, I've been looking for this!

Check out bluehost.com or hostgator.com

I have dealt with them and they have acted as expected. Why didn't you shortlist them? (just curious)

The shortlist is actually based on my current skill limitation/familiarity with the server's OS. I figured I should know how to use Linux OS first, then make decision. The plan is to learn CentOS after I spend sometime with Debian, which most internet people said learning something as Debian will help me thrive in other OS. Debian>CentOS>Ubuntu, I planned to familiarize in that order.

• I am confused. You stated earlier that

[quote:2skdsmw6]However, for now my best shot is windows server for the obvious reason.

Anyway, to move on ...

You don't need to know Linux to administer a web server although it would be good to know.

These days, administration is done trough cPanel. It doesn't matter which package you use.

Unmanaged servers are out of your league because it takes a solid understanding of IT and experience.

Linux isn't something you learn i a week. It takes years to master and the best of the best don't say that they know everything there is to know.

Make your life simple. Read up on cPanel and most of all, get a package that comes with cPanel (most now do).

If you are just starting out, a standard account might do because it is much more affordable and you can always upgrade if you get the traffic to justify the cost.

Getting traffic to your website and keeping it is your number one goal.

Use alexa.com to check your progress (alexa isn't everything but a good starting point).

• I am confused. You stated earlier that

[quote:3d6vo9v1]However, for now my best shot is windows server for the obvious reason.

What I meant with "obvious reason" is I want to use/run/control a webbrowser, thinking of using chrome to run my dedicated game server. Had a brief read on cPanel, I don't really see a way which allows me to control my browser on the server, it's like an interface exclusively for webhosting (which is not what I'm looking for), but correct me if i'm wrong. The only way to do it, as far as I have researched is to remote-desktop.

• sorry Ninja,

I must have misread.

cPanel is what you use to "set up" your VPS (or any other structure, even shared hosting).

Before you can upload your game, you will need to create at least one FTP account, plus many more things like email, server backup etc...

I am not familiar enough with what you want to achieve so it would be best of others help you who already have such a setup in place.

I was just writing about the web host portion and first steps, what to consider to avoid some of the problems down the road.

To sum up:

You need a domain name

Static IP address

SSL Certificate

Hosting package (shared or VPS)

After that, you can install and run what every you want.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)