GUYMAN HERO!

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Uploaded a playthrough video for those of you having too much trouble with the game.

[size=150:19oy47w4]PLAYTHROUGH VIDEO[/size:19oy47w4]

I also uploaded another updated version of the game, which has minor fixes but does not fix the platform falling glitch. Yet.
B
G

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm

[quote="feeblethemighty":22agsxgw]deadeye: Oh, right timedelta. Um...i read about that and how everyone should use it but i couldn't figure it out. Should i be using it?[/quote:22agsxgw]

Behaviors like Platform use it automatically. You only need to use it "manually" so to speak when you are moving objects around with your own custom events, or if you are making any time-sensitive stuff like, uh, timers I guess.

All it does is make things framerate independent, so they're not running faster on faster computers.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Oh, should i be giving the moving platforms the Platform behaviour, too? Or is the "platform" attribute checked enough?

Just thought of that now.
B
G

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 pm

[quote:28mazjju]Oh, should i be giving the moving platforms the Platform behaviour, too?[/quote:28mazjju]

No. Unless you want them to run around and jump on each other I guess :P.

Edit:

Here's the comment from your .cap

[quote:28mazjju]Here's where we control the moving platforms. For some reason, the player might fall through the platform if the platform is moving up. Should i be using TimeDelta here?[/quote:28mazjju]

And the answer is yes, you should. You are moving them manually instead of using a behavior. Behaviors like Bullet, Platform, 8Direction, Ball, etc. etc. all use TimeDelta automatically. Any time you change something over time (like an object's position) without the use of a behavior you should use TimeDelta to insure that it will run at the same speed on all computers.

Those platforms will run at different speeds on different computers. Monitors with a high refresh rate will have kickin' fast platforms, which could cause even more fall-through than normal.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:30 pm

Okay, I've altered the .cap you sent me so I start at the screen with all the moving platforms. (I've also altered it so that the only thing that hurts me is lava and I still can't pass that screen :P)

Anyway, it seems to me that I'm falling through the platforms a lot more now than when I played the version you linked in the OP. I had to actually try to fall through then by jumping around needlessly while the platform was moving up. Now it seems I just fall through like, whenever.

You might be able to make a hack that uses an invisible solid sprite that is overlaid onto the platform sprites, and when the player is below the solid change the collision mode to "none." Then when the player is above it, change the collision mode to "bounding box." It should fix the issue with the player, but your aliens could glitch if they're intersecting the platform when it turns solid. You'd be trading one glitch for another that way, but it might be the best option as far as playability is concerned. At least until David fixes the bug that causes falling through platforms.

Haven't taken a look at your sound events yet, I'll let you know what I find.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:09 am

FIXED IT! YES! :twisted:

Platforms now work flawlessly. Though i'm curious as to how it will work on other people's computer.

Basically, i used a technique i learned from my Game Maker days. When a platforming object is overlapping a platform, move it up until it is no longer overlapping the platform and is perfectly standing on it. Had to make a special 2-pixel high collision mask for the player to make this work because if i used the whole player sprite as the test, you would stand on a platform and if another one passes over you, the player would levitate up to the next one. This seems like it works well enough until the Construct guys iron out the problem on their end.

Anyways, go download the new version on the original post! I think even you can pass it now Deadeye. :wink:
B
G

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm

I figured out the audio distortion problem. :D

Initially, the music would distort everytime the player died and restarted the level. Turns out the XAudio2 object was creating copies of itself because i didn't check the "no serialize" box. So i did. Now it works perfectly.

Get the updated version in the original post.

I'm now leaving this game as finished and am going to work on GUYMAN HERO DELUXE because there is still a lot of potential in this game. I left out one type of enemy completely and i have more ideas for level design.
B
G

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:02 pm

[quote:2zfxbmxh]Turns out the XAudio2 object was creating copies of itself because i didn't check the "no serialize" box. [/quote:2zfxbmxh]

I haven't had a chance yet to look into this but I'm really glad you figured this out because I don't think I would have known to check that and I would have been very frustrated :P

Glad you got everything sorted out :D
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Hmm sounds interesting might give this a shot tomorrow after I've came from school and bought some beer
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Hey folks!

After finally figuring out the aliens running away problem (which after Construct version 99.72 had to do with assigning family variables using ".Value") i can finally say that this game is complete.

Construct version 99.82 fixed the ever frustrating falling-through-platforms problem so that platform screen near the end of the game is actually passable. I do recommend for everyone who tried this game before and found the platforms frustrating to give it another try.

Also, i started using GameJolt so you can quick play it.

Try it out now!
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations