Hand-Drawn Games?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:02 pm

just uploaded a simple beat them up game.

the character and enemy is much hand drawn.

take a look: https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial- ... itoes-6047 :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:19 am

@nemezes
Whoa that was WEIRD! But I have to admit, like many of us, I have long dreamed of becoming a rooster-man and giving the smack down to giant mosquitoes.
I had fun with it! :lol:
I guess I need to make something and post it here sometime too.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:43 am

Almost all my character animation is hand drawn so I'll share my stuff too:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-games/candy-basket-a-halloween-game-3190

All the sprites in this game are drawn and inked on paper. Then I scan it and add the colours in photshop and what not so I can put it together in Spriter. (I haven't touched this game since halloween, it could use some polishing...)

And here is some early experimentation, it's by no means finished.
All the body parts you can see there to the left are hand inked with a brush. Sounds kind of fancy, but it's probably quicker this way for me than to ink it with my wacom. As you can see in the close-up, the lines aren't super smooth, but zoomed out they look fairly smooth. But then, if you want it super smooth, maybe vector graphics is the way to go.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:05 pm

I made some graphics improvements in the "beat the mosquitoes" (erased the white square), added one more level and you can choose levels by pressing 1, 2 or 3.

@plowman really cool game. the graphics are great. I see that you use spriter, I really have to learn how to use it. the last level "mess" is really hard. the character moves too slow, maybe it could be faster.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 pm

nemezes wrote:I made some graphics improvements in the "beat the mosquitoes" (erased the white square), added one more level and you can choose levels by pressing 1, 2 or 3.

@plowman really cool game. the graphics are great. I see that you use spriter, I really have to learn how to use it. the last level "mess" is really hard. the character moves too slow, maybe it could be faster.

@nemezes Thanks. Yeah, if you want to use all that tween animation stuff then you'll need Spriter (or some similar program)! I think that bird man is a fun start 8-) .
And yes, some of the level design really is a mess, thrown together for Halloweeen. But you don't need to beat every single level to complete the game.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:04 am

I made another character hand drawn.

I am trying to make a fighting game. Still in the beginning.

here is the preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZkFuX4Fbes
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 am

I used to use the paper-and-scanner technique for years when I used to develop games with Clickteam's stuff. It looks great, but I personally didn't realise how inefficient it was until I worked out how to avoid it. If you have a little bit of cash handy, have a go at Sketchbook Pro with a Wacom tablet - it does a great job of emulating pencils and pens and you can work muuuuch faster :)

Coming soon on Steam!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:24 am

@mikehive sketchbook pro is really a cool program. I use it on mobile devices. Very smooth
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:10 pm

B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:32 pm

sorry if I am posting too much.. but I like this topic. :)

here is the same character with two walk animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PZZlojzg8

the first walk animation has 4 frames and the movement is not smooth, then I have to put 2 more frames and the walk movement gets better.

the parrot man that I made before had 4 frames in the walk animation, as you can see in the game beat the mosquitoes. If we get an animation with crossing legs, the walk animation needs more frames to get smooth.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas