Hardware accelerated physics?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:53 am

OpenCL should run anywhere where there's more than 1 processing core.
Of course, for video cards this will be implemented in the driver. I expect adoption rate to be similar to modern OpenGL, as it's also a khronos thing.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

[quote="Ashley":2jnz8pg0]It would be really cool, but AFAIK it's PhysX powered which is only supported by the nVidia GeForce 8 series and up, which generally are high end, expensive gamer cards.[/quote:2jnz8pg0]

You can buy a GeForce 8 series card capable of PhysX for under $100... it's not that unrealistic to support PhysX in the future, seeing as most people will have support for it within 12 months if not now. And, if you don't have support for it, then don't create 50,000 objects on your screen, or go spend $50 (by then) and welcome to this decade of computing. :P

There are already 2 series of cards beyond the GF8XXX series, including the 9xxx and 2xx cards. I think you can get a GF8400 for like $35 from MSY Computers :/

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:13 pm

[quote="SoldjahBoy":2afgt6gg]You can buy a GeForce 8 series card ..(snip).. or go spend $50 (by then) and welcome to this decade of computing. :P[/quote:2afgt6gg]
If this decade means single vendor lock-in, then I'd rather stay out of it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:11 pm

[quote="Madster":2ulftjqf][quote="SoldjahBoy":2ulftjqf]You can buy a GeForce 8 series card ..(snip).. or go spend $50 (by then) and welcome to this decade of computing. :P[/quote:2ulftjqf]
If this decade means single vendor lock-in, then I'd rather stay out of it.[/quote:2ulftjqf]

Well go buy an Ati card and find a second hand aegia physx card... only costs three times the amount and runs slower, but if you really don't like nvidia that much, it's an option? :P

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:29 am

[quote="SoldjahBoy":tvokepoj]Well go buy an Ati card and find a second hand aegia physx card... only costs three times the amount and runs slower, but if you really don't like nvidia that much, it's an option? :P
[/quote:tvokepoj]

I don't think they make 'em anymore, support is probably non-existent.
I have an ATI :)
And I'd rather have OpenCL physics :P
if Physx does an OpenCL implementation and goes head-to-head against Havok, all will be good. No monopolies, consumers win.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 am

[quote="Madster":1h5x1tsw][quote="SoldjahBoy":1h5x1tsw]Well go buy an Ati card and find a second hand aegia physx card... only costs three times the amount and runs slower, but if you really don't like nvidia that much, it's an option? :P
[/quote:1h5x1tsw]

I don't think they make 'em anymore, support is probably non-existent.
I have an ATI :)
And I'd rather have OpenCL physics :P
if Physx does an OpenCL implementation and goes head-to-head against Havok, all will be good. No monopolies, consumers win.[/quote:1h5x1tsw]
Monopolies can be good as long as the product is superior... unlike Microsoft. PhysX is extermely good, very scalable, high powered, and easy to implement... In fact, PhysX is probably easier than OpenCL for physics motion anyway. :/

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:37 am

Monopolies mean the product cannot be superior as there is nothing to compare against.
Also, they're usually to blame when the product quality decreases, as there is no incentive to improve, but there is to reduce manufacturing cost.

So anyways, what I mean is that physics APIs can be implemented in OpenCL, not that you'd have to roll your own physics in OpenCL. And if Physx gets implemented in OpenCL, we'll have choice again. Which would be cool.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:43 am

[quote="wikipedia":29i4ja88]Nvidia provides both the engine and SDK for free to Windows and Linux users and developers[/quote:29i4ja88]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:34 am

Free as in beer ;)
You're free to use it, not to make it run in hardware other than Nvidia's.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion