has anyone actually used this seriously?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I keep finding so many oversights and problems (that I'm pretty sure could be fixed without too much stress) that it feels to me that construct hasn't actually been tested/pushed very much.

A super simple example: update animations of a sprite - output from a third party art package (pro-motion)

After you have created all your animations - stand, run, jump, walk, punch... etc all the image files are moved into separate folders, so back in my package of choice I have all my character's animations in one long animation (standard practice). In order to update the animation in Construct (using "reload files from disk") I have to individually save each frame from my source animation into each folder that has been created for each animation by the system. It takes far too much time to do this - and it should of been thought of from the beginning - and I can't believe it hasn't been brought up before and has not already been addressed.

meta data should be saved that stores where these files were loaded from the very first time - so I only need to replace my original images - and a function needs to be added - "refresh files from original"... this is how it is done properly!! i.e Unity, unreal etc.

The most frustrating thing is, a fundamental work flow issue like this should have been discovered during TESTING, never mind by the community after release.

And on a lighter note: it's so bloody frustrating because Construct is so close to being brilliant. It needs more investment - more programmers and testers!
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:38 pm

A lack of "ease of use" features doesn't really suggest no interest, however +1 for adding more programmers.
On the other hand that could also mean an increase in the price.
Also keep in mind that one of the key features is "ease of use" for people new to programming, and a higher price point could hinder that.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Well actually I prefer the way Construct 2 does it, as that's close to how Construct Classic and the Clickteam products worked for me. Have you tried using the "import spritesheet" (might not be its actual name) feature in the animation editor?

Also, nothing is stopping you from just overwriting the source files when you use the Save As Folder method of saving your project files. Then you just need a tool to automatically break apart the frames and name them in number order.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:16 pm

+1 for extra programmers
First off, i in no way regret buying C2. Its an excellent tool.

However the reason i agree with more programmers. Apart from your issue.
There are a few others.

C2 has room for improvement.

Filtering objects, Undoing selections, object placement during level design.
The overall feel of C2 is counter productive.

Designing one level can take up to 3 hours. That's mostly of poor handling of parallax grids in the editor.
Not to mention one miss click and your entire selection is gone and there is no undoing that.
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 am

I agree on how the images are handled. I think art should be in an asset directory. Your sprites reference teh file you drop into the folder. That way it's far more intuitive for artists to just jump into the folder, edit the image and boom it's done. No need to re-import. C2 image handling is counter intuive for team design and larger games. This design leads to working on the idea of finalized assets rather than itterative. This also include audio.

Non C2 using developers should be able to just edit files in a project folders. sigh oh well. There are few work flow features and few community features that are always going to hold C2 back from being a defacto engine.

With all this C2 more than any other tool should have an Asset store. Considering that this is focused to include non programmers an Asset store is critical to this.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:06 am

@jayderyu and others: absolutely, The current asset management makes it very tedious to iterate on any project. As an artist and designer, I've spent countless hour reimporting animations and assets, using tricks to maintain the image points and collision masks. Being able to just overwrite files from windows as in Unity would be a huge time saver to many persons here I believe. But then, I guess it must be somewhat of a planned feature on scirra's long todo list?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks for your thoughts, glad to hear its not just me suffering when trying to update files..

As far as this problem being on the "to do" list - it should of been discovered immediately, there should have been an artist along side Ashley, who after a few hours of trying to update his sprite would have turned around and told him how time consuming and tedious it is. That's what makes me think there was no artist/designer doing any testing.... and like all the game engines out there, the creators focus on putting new features in (like lights) to create headlines in the hope of finding new customers... while allowing fundamental issues untouched.

Having said this, I know Ashley is really active with the community and does his best to fix bugs... but its becoming obvious its too big now for one person to code.
B
S

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:51 pm

@jayderyu
@Valerian
@stuatk

Have you tried saving in folder format and directly overwriting the frames, and then inside the animation editor: right click in the "Animation frames" box and click "Reload files from disk"?

It sounds like what you're all requesting, but from the original poster I can understand how it gets difficult doing that for each separate animation folder and singular frames within them. Is there other downfalls to that method though?
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:11 pm

In terms of the product being too big for the team, perhaps that's true, but it's a very complete tool in my opinion. It's quite possible to make huge/complex games with it, but there are some minor issues... then again, there are issues with any coding tool right? I assume your initial question was whether or not anyone has completed any serious projects, to which the answer is yes, though it's true that most C2 games tend to be small and simple, because it's just so easy to make small games (with any tool) and it tends to attract newer programmers for obvious reasons.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:57 pm

@Jayjay : yep, it's kind of nice but the main concern I have is re-importing many singular assets, or a character with a bunch of animations (for exemple in a top down game, the character is animated in multiple directions).
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General