has anyone actually used this seriously?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:38 pm

So if I understand everything correctly all we need is:

1. Remember the original source of imported animation frames and have a "reload from source" option
2. Make an easier way to replace existing audio files

Does that basically cover everything?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:15 pm

@Ashley : the n°1 could be an improvement upon the current system if it can be done swiftly. Some "reload all animation" button or right-click option in the anim view could be nice. This still doesn't solve the tedious work of re-importing many background elements though. Can't compare with bigger engines or ask for a complete take over the system, but I feel like a lot of time is wasted arranging, creating and reloading objects from within c2, rather than using the windows explorer directly (cf. Unity's project manager).

To list things more clearly, I'd see some design like that:
1- a folder structure in project mode that mimics the explorer view. Only sprites with multiple frames and/or animations are stored inside a sub-folder using their c2 name
2- C2 automatically detects changes in the folder structure or files in the project view based on changes done from the windows explorer -> updates the files and folder structure inside the C2 editor.

Dunno whether it's feasible, but I think it conveys the idea. Something that permits a professional artist to drag and drop his 30 background sprites freshly exported using generator in photoshop, overwrite the current construct2 files, and voilà: the whole environment is updated in construct. That's basically how Unity (and game maker I believe?) handles assets.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:25 pm

@Valerien - importing backgrounds should be really easy - they all go in the same Textures folder and have a name based on the object type. So you should be able to directly overwrite it from another tool, right?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:37 pm

@Ashley : It's good, yes! But it only works with tiled backgrounds and spritefonts, while dragging sprites in c2 creates sprites by default. If you have, let's say, 4 or 5 environments, that's also generally nice to have the same amount of folders, just for organisation's sake.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Ashley - Thank you for the quick response.

Yes - those 2 points are what I believe we need, it would be excellent if there was an option to either "reload from source" on just the current selected animation or for all the animations for the sprite. Reloading all the animations is what people would probably need most of the time, and if the system can't find a file bring up a file requester so the user can either cancel the whole operation or go find the file again...

And maybe just right clicking on a wav and having a re-import option... or bring up the file requester if the files are missing...

I hope these ideas can be implemented without too much pain, and again, thanks for responding.
B
S

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Ashley wrote:So if I understand everything correctly all we need is:

1. Remember the original source of imported animation frames and have a "reload from source" option
2. Make an easier way to replace existing audio files

Does that basically cover everything?

That would be great if it was added! Some extra notes:

- Reload and Replace should be separate options depending on what you want to do. A reload is fine if your updated assets retain the same filename, but if I want to replace current assets with another with a different filename or source location you would use Replace. This standard practice in something like After Effects or Premiere.

- Would also be good to have a reload/replace options for the audio files, so that it would have the same functionality as animation frames.

- An option to hide the ogg/m4a audio in the project window as it just clutters up the list.

- Please don't rename the animation frames upon import. At least then there is also the option of replacing files directly in the C2 native folder structure.

- multi select (either marque or shift select) of frames in the animation editor. A more advanced feature would be to multiselect some frames and then a right click menu to choose "replace frames". This way it would be more flexible in that you could replace a single frame, multiple frames or all frames. This would also be useful for deleting, duplicating and shifting frames around.

- multi select in the project bar would also be very handy!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 am

And while we're at it, since I don't see any mention of it yet, when replacing sprites, it's very important that they retain their collision polygons. I cannot count the number of times I've had to go and redo these when updating visuals.

Also, since this seems to be asset management wishlist time, I'd be keen on a reworking of the "Crop transparent edges" function. As it stands now, when cropping, you're essentially committing to those sprites (reimported images would come in at a larger size, and thus collision polys would never line up properly), but that's not always desirable. I'd love to see a checkbox or something to toggle automatically cropping transparent edges on export only (maybe per sprite, not overall - that'd murder export times), since the main reason behind trimming these edges is to ensure the exported spritesheets stay at a reasonable size.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am

"Reload from source" does sound handy but will still require the artist to notify the programmer of changes, and the programmer to open the whole project, track down the object, open the animation, and click it, correct? Not that much of an improvement honestly..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:07 am

@GeometriX you can use a trick: copy your new image in an image editing software, select the image you want to replace in construct, delete and paste your clipboard. This will preserve your data as it is. It's not great though, but handy sometimes.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General