HELP!!! Construct 2 froze, capx broken now :(

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 pm

That autobackup to dropbox would be great. What would be excellent if we could choose to delete previous backups after a certain amount, and also choose the frequency of backups...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:30 pm

[QUOTE=R0J0hound]Wouldn't it be a better idea to save to a new temporary file then copy that over the old file.[/QUOTE]
It already does that. It saves to myfile.capx.tmp, then providing everything has saved OK so far, it deletes the .capx and renames the .capx.tmp to .capx. So I have no idea how anyone could get corrupt files. I guess these things just happen, so hopefully autobackup will help there anyway.

(For the record it does the same for every file in a project folder as well - e.g. first it saves to Layout1.xml.tmp, then if successful it deletes Layout1.xml and renames the .tmp)Ashley2012-02-19 20:31:05
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 2:32 pm

Also getting the unable to unzip error.

Unzipped and attempted to run from the folder - said a specific graphic was not in a folder - so I added the file to the textures folder.

Now gives me message that file is not available over in some temp folder - despite being available and running from the folder on my desktop.

Even tried putting the file in the folder - rezipping the file - renaming to capx.

None of this worked.

Frustrating for the student in my class who lost a weeks worth of work.

Any other ideas ?
B

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm

@t1techno: this thread is old, the issue hasn't been heard of in months.
Anyway, had you setted the backup options ?
If so, you might try to fall back to a abckup version.

If not, send the archive of the project over here (maybe in a new topic) and we'll try to see how to salvage it.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 6:16 pm

@t1techno: that could have been caused by a hardware failure or some other disk corruption, it's not necessarily Construct 2's fault - which is why you should always have backup set up. That applies to any software, not just Construct 2. Anyways as Kyatric said post your .capx and we can see if anyone can salvage it.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 7:58 pm

I told student I was working on fixing the file - Unzipped the original file looking at how to fix it, but in his all knowing wisdom - he deleted the file from the server while I as looking. So I have the unzipped folder - but not the original capx file.

Thanks for the link to backups - this will solve a lot of issues.

B

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 pm

@t1techno: zip the unzipped folder and post it, we can work from there.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 08, 2012 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] [QUOTE=R0J0hound]Wouldn't it be a better idea to save to a new temporary file then copy that over the old file.[/QUOTE]
It already does that. It saves to myfile.capx.tmp, then providing everything has saved OK so far, it deletes the .capx and renames the .capx.tmp to .capx. So I have no idea how anyone could get corrupt files. I guess these things just happen, so hopefully autobackup will help there anyway.

(For the record it does the same for every file in a project folder as well - e.g. first it saves to Layout1.xml.tmp, then if successful it deletes Layout1.xml and renames the .tmp)[/QUOTE]

Considering this, it's indeed extremely strange someone could get a corrupted file. Dropbox auto-back up would be a great idea and maybe a web-disk option for those with their own server?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm

The Construct 2 generate a .backup1 file for got a chance. Open this with construct 2 and be happy!
B

Post » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:34 pm

@randomname23463 - you're helping someone from a post made in 2012...?
...busy learning Unity - real lights etc!
(but c2 is easily the quickest way to make 2d html5 games)!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General