Help / Input on a new Computer System

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • I think its time I put my old computer system down, it's over 5 years old and is going down hill fast.

So I am looking for a place to get my new system at. I have looked at a bunch of web sites , but I keep ending up at http://www.ibuypower.com . It seems to me the best bang for your buck. Has anyone here used them? are they good, bad company?

Well here is what I am looking at getting. Let me know if you think I should change anything, or any other input on this.

[quote:6dsqu6uh]Case - CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Gaming Case-Black

Processor - Intel� Core� i7 920 Processor (4x 2.66GHz/8MB L3 Cache)

Processor Cooling - Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 240mm Radiator

Memory - 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1600 Triple Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 PCI-Express x16 � 896MB SLI Mode (Daul Cards)

Motherboard -

Asus P6T Intel X58 Chipset CrossFire and SLI Supported w/7.1 Sound, Triple-Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 3-Way SLI PCI-E MB-3-Way SLI

Power Supply - 850 Watt -- Corsair CMPSU-850TX Power Supply-Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive - 1 TB HARD DRIVE-[Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

Optical Drive - [6X Blu-Ray] LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY Reader & DVD�R/�RW Burner Combo Drive Black

2nd Optical Drive - [6X Blu-Ray] LG GGW-H20L BLU-RAY Re-Writer & DVD�R/�RW Burner Combo Drive Black

Sound Card - 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card - Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit Edition

Windows 7 Upgrade Coupon

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Edition $29 -$29(mail-in-rebate) = $0

• If you're spending that much money on a super badass computer like that, I wouldn't go with onboard sound, it tends to suck. You may as well get a dedicated sound card.

Also, they're expensive but have you thought about a 60gb or so solid state drive for running OS + programs from? I don't have one myself, but people with them sing about how fast their system boots, loads things, etc.

• Thanks Ashley for your input on this.

I been going back and forth about the dedicated sound card. Just looking to save the $50.00 plus bucks.

As for the solid state drives I have looked in it to it, but right now its a bit to expensive for me. I'll wait until the price comes down more. As for how fast the system boots, loads things, with the way my old system is working going to this new system will be like going from a VW Bug to a Viper So for right now the speed will be fine.

• If you feel up to it price out how much parts would cost on newegg or tigerdirect and buld it your self the only thing that would be tricky would be the water cooling. Building yourself tends to save you a good chunk of change i priced rigs a year or two ago and i built a nearly 1500 dollar rig for about 700 when I made it my self.

• also you can make raid or if you don't wanna make raid - buy WD velociraptor as your system disk and other non-hispeed hdd for file storing(eg one 10000rpm 150gb and one 7200 1tb)...

• You guys are bad for my budget:) You have got me thinking more and more about the solid state drive. I have a Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ on my network for the mass storage so everyone in the home can get to the data all the time. So I do not need that big of drives on the computer.

• You guys are bad for my budget:) You have got me thinking more and more about the solid state drive.

How about a solid gold drive?

• I had looked at ibuypower.com a while ago, and I read very mixed reviews. Some people say it's great, while others mentioned that parts were defective, and workmanship was very shoddy. The prices do seem great though, a lot lower than other sites, and almost too good to be true.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • GTX280 will be a better option by miles than the 275.

Also, a motherboard with dedicated SLI will be better than a hybrid board that does SLI or CROSSFIRE.

Needs bigger PSU, definately. 850W is not enough for two GPUs like that.

Why do you want 2 blu-ray burners? Why do you even want one blu-ray burner? Wait 18 months until they become $50 like a DVD brner is now... instead of $400 and $50 per blank 50gb disc.

Solid state drives are a waste of money unless you are running a server farm. Save your cash and get some normal drives with big capacity.

Other than that... it looks OK, though Ash already mentioned the thing about the sound card... don't use onboard sound unless it's good. My board came with an X-Fi card, which is partial onboard, and partial 1x PCI-E daughterboard.

A can't stress enough though how much better the GTX280 is than ALL other GTX cards, including the latest GTX295's. The 280 kills them all.

I'm not entirely sure what price difference you are looking at between the 275 and 280, but whatever it is, it's worth it.

*EDIT*

The HAF is a really nice case

I saw it at the Thermaltake show before it was released... I was very impressed by what I saw... have to let me know if it's as good as it "looked" at the time

~Sol

• Hi SoldjahBoy,

[quote:2yxbejnd]Why do you want 2 blu-ray burners?

Well one was a blu-ray Burner and one was a blu-ray play / DVD burner. But you got a good point on that the cost is very high right now and I should wait. If I just get a DVD burner drive and a DVD reader Drive I can save $200.00 - $300.00 and pay for the sound card. and upgrade the power supply to 1000W.

[quote:2yxbejnd]A can't stress enough though how much better the GTX280 is than ALL other GTX cards, including the latest GTX295's. The 280 kills them all.

I'm not entirely sure what price difference you are looking at between the 275 and 280, but whatever it is, it's worth it.

Are you talking about the just the 280 or the 285?

The nVidia GeForce GTX 285 is $110.00 more then the GTX 275.

The nVidia GeForce GTX 295 is $310.00 more then the GTX 275. from what they say the GTX 295 is two GTX 275 in one card.

As I just found out if you go SLI or CROSSFIRE you can not do dual monitor's. I think I will just go with the one nVidia GeForce GTX 275. For the money I don't see the GTX 285 $110.00 better.

nVidia GeForce GTX 275

Manufacturer: nVidia

Series: GeForce GTX 200

GPU: GT200b

Release Date: 2009-04-02

Interface: PCI-E 2.0 x16

Core Clock: 633 MHz

Shader Clock: 1404 MHz

Memory Clock: 1134 MHz (2268 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 127.008 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1010.88 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 17724 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 50640 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 280

GPU: GT200

Release Date: 2008-06-16

Core Clock: 602 MHz

Shader Clock: 1296 MHz

Memory Clock: 1107 MHz (2214 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 141.696 GB/sec

FLOPS: 933.12 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 19264 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 48160 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 285

Release Date: 2009-01-15

Core Clock: 648 MHz

Shader Clock: 1476 MHz

Memory Clock: 1242 MHz (2484 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 158.976 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1062.72 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 20736 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 51840 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 295

GPU: GT200b x 2

Release Date: 2009-01-08

Core Clock: 576 MHz

Shader Clock: 1242 MHz

Memory Clock: 999 MHz (1998 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 223.776 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1788.48 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 32256 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 92160 MTexels/sec

• I had looked at ibuypower.com a while ago, and I read very mixed reviews. Some people say it's great, while others mentioned that parts were defective, and workmanship was very shoddy. The prices do seem great though, a lot lower than other sites, and almost too good to be true.

Thanks Davioware for letting know about this. I'll keep my eye on this.

• Hi SoldjahBoy,

Well one was a blu-ray Burner and one was a blu-ray play / DVD burner. But you got a good point on that the cost is very high right now and I should wait. If I just get a DVD burner drive and a DVD reader Drive I can save $200.00 - $300.00 and pay for the sound card. and upgrade the power supply to 1000W.

That's a better idea IMO, unless you REALLY need blu-ray right now.

Also, yes 1000W is what I run, and to be honest, even that is a little sketchy at times when it gets warm outside. I've had a few under-volts even with the 1000W 100A Antec Quattro.

Check amps mainly, more than watts... I would recommend at LEAST 100A on the 12v... if not more... 120A if you can get it... that is, if you choose to stick with the two video cards.

Are you talking about the just the 280 or the 285?

The 280. It's the best card out of the lot, even though it came out first... wait, that's typical of nvidia. The first card out, is the best one, because they try to make it better and screw it up.

If you check out some of the comparison reviews on toms hardware and other places, you will note that the 280 is a much better performer overall. Sometimes the maximum FPS wasn't as high as say the 295, but the minimum FPS was WAY higher. In other words, it's a more consistent card in it's performance.

As I just found out if you go SLI or CROSSFIRE you can not do dual monitor's. I think I will just go with the one nVidia GeForce GTX 275. For the money I don't see the GTX 285 $110.00 better.

You can, you just have to disable SLI when you aren't using it. It's not that much of a pain if you use nvidia control panel... whole process takes maybe 30 seconds.... so if you know you are going to be using Photoshop or something like that for a few hours, then you can easily enable the second screen.

Plus, you can have games across two screens awesome for RTS games, not so much for games where your crosshair is dead centre, half on one screen and half on the other since the bezels never hide well.

nVidia GeForce GTX 275

Release Date: 2009-04-02

Core Clock: 633 MHz

Shader Clock: 1404 MHz

Memory Clock: 1134 MHz (2268 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 127.008 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1010.88 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 17724 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 50640 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 280

GPU: GT200

Release Date: 2008-06-16

Core Clock: 602 MHz

Shader Clock: 1296 MHz

Memory Clock: 1107 MHz (2214 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 141.696 GB/sec

FLOPS: 933.12 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 19264 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 48160 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 285

Release Date: 2009-01-15

Core Clock: 648 MHz

Shader Clock: 1476 MHz

Memory Clock: 1242 MHz (2484 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 158.976 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1062.72 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 20736 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 51840 MTexels/sec

nVidia GeForce GTX 295

GPU: GT200b x 2

Release Date: 2009-01-08

Core Clock: 576 MHz

Shader Clock: 1242 MHz

Memory Clock: 999 MHz (1998 DDR)

Memory Bandwidth: 223.776 GB/sec

FLOPS: 1788.48 GFLOPS

Pixel Fill Rate: 32256 MPixels/sec

Texture Fill Rate: 92160 MTexels/sec

Yep, those are some specs alright. Don't let big numbers fool you. It's like horsepower in a car... if you can't get it to the ground it's useless.

I've got 2x280's in SLI in my machine... and well, basically... there is nothing they won't run in super mega graphics mode (except Crysis... which is a giant piece of shit I have determined).

Hope all that helps!

I hate to see people buy the wrong thing because some dick in a computer store told them it would be OK.

~Sol

• Don't forget if you have a friend who works at Best Buy or some electronics store he could possibly buy it for dirt cheap, for example this ram I wanted cost 120 dollars and my friend got it for 75!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)