Help With Puzzle Game

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Would that method work if my board isn't full? The general plan right now is to not have the board totally full and have it fill continuously from the bottom so you can essentially drop pieces down columns that aren't full to match either vertically or horizontally trying not to let any pieces leave from the top.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:21 pm

[quote="mattdubs":2h9n21pq]Would that method work if my board isn't full?[/quote:2h9n21pq]

I don't see why it wouldn't. It should work in any case.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 pm

If I'm not destroying sprites to add to the PV I'm not sure how I would set it up initially since it's not so much the ones already in the column that need to move but the ones you're moving to it.

If you run the cap I attached you'll see that the pieces I left free floating will fall to fill in below unless they are touching one above them or below them. Obviously falling until there's one below it is correct, but 'sticking' to one above it is broke.

Controls btw are arrows to move the cursor (I put a shortcut in allowing you to click boxes to jump the cursor there for testing sake) space switches the tiles or moves one into an empty space horizontally.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:03 pm

Oh, checking for overlap of the same kind of object like you did doesn't work properly. You know about the old 2 families trick? Add 2 families to an object, then check for overlap between the two. Still I wouldn't advice you to use this overlap method here, although it might suit after all.

You could still use the method I described. Some sort of playfield loop was my first idea, to check if there is a block at each possible field position and if there isn't, it will add 1 to the mentioned PV again. Maybe I can come up with something more intuitive when I think a moment about it. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:22 pm

Ah, that's why I was getting such unpredictable results. I don't know that trick, this is only the 3rd thing I've done in Construct so there's still a lot of things I'm learning in terms of tackling specific problems. But I'll have to give that a try. Wish I could put it on my computer at work.

I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around translating your PV method to work with the specific mechanic I want. I'm sure I'll see it better once I can try it, I do better when I can trial and error things.

I appreciate all your help.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:41 pm

I fiddled a bit around with your cap and maybe you should really go for the grid behavior + overlap at offset method. When I originally created Crypta I believe there were some problems with that behavior (it doesn't use any behavior for movement) so I created my own stuff with events.

Anyway, here are some slight changes to your cap that make it work pretty well:
Download

Oh and did you create it in an older version of Construct? You'll need 0.99.42 for this I'm afraid.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah I made it in 98.9 from when I ran through platform school, but I installed 99.42 a couple nights ago. Thanks a ton for taking a look at that, I wish they'd drop the admin requirements for installs so I could have construct here, but that's the cost of working for DHS, even if it is as an artist.

I feel like that was going to be the hardest part, now I just have to implement destruction and combo scoring, but I have an idea of how that can be handled.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote="mattdubs":ukvsz5hx]Thanks a ton for taking a look at that[/quote:ukvsz5hx]
No problem at all. I'm glad I was able to help you out a little. :mrgreen:

[quote="mattdubs":ukvsz5hx]I wish they'd drop the admin requirements for installs so I could have construct here, but that's the cost of working for DHS, even if it is as an artist.[/quote:ukvsz5hx]

You work here: http://www.dhs.gov ? :shock:

And let me know if you run into any further problems and of course share your efforts with the community. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:55 pm

Yep, well, I subcontract. I'm a 3D modeler and animator for their training sims along with TSA and military. Interesting though sometimes a bit linear work.

I'll definitely be making a thread for people to look at the source of this once I had the last few things from my list. There's not a lot going on in terms of puzzle games so hopefully all my trials will help people figure some things out.

Guess I'll keep workin on the graphics while the boss isn't lookin.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:36 pm

Just got home to check it out, works like a charm. Thanks a ton.

Two questions, is the random(4)+1 more effiecent than random(5) because it stops me from getting one number that's unused (or maybe loops around causing me to have more of one frame)?

And on the vertical movement, what's the purpose of making sure red isn't already moving. Seems to function the same with and with since it will always handle the horizontal movement first.

Trying to learn to optimize this stuff.

EDIT: I found I can break it if i switch while one's falling, i can cause them to overlap and stick together. I gotta fix that.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic