Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:35 am

https://tinypng.com/

You'll thank me later.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:44 am

Not really useful, especially since image compression is already implemented in C2.
Prefer to use it and read further about export optimisations that are processed and make such a program kind of irrelevant in C2's workflow.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:05 am

Oh, nevermind then

*shame shame shame*
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:36 am

I use PNGoo (ofline tool) before inserting them in Construct2, or anywhere as standard practice. Maybe not needed for Construct but it will warm you a little to cut does heavy png files in half.
overview here:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... ows-pngoo/

There are others like PNGoptimizer that i also keep in the tools bag for when PNGoo crashes (with +gb files)
working on Rally Racing
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:40 am

Haha nice, but I prefer using compresspng.com. Gave me a bit better results with less artifacts when I compared the results of both.

@Kyatric, thank you for sharing that. I read it and I am a bit confused, that is a compressor inside C2 am I correct? But if I used compress images when I import images into C2, does it mean that they won't get compressed by C2 anymore or will it still further compress it? I remembered in one of my older game tests, I wanted to reduce the memory usage shown at the bottom of C2, so I used the website to compress all my images. I was able to reduce it by about 6mb, which was good, but since I never exported both versions out, I never did compare the two performance or image size in the file.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:59 pm

The compression only happens on export.
And do not think about "further" compression, but taking the existing images in your project and processing them to the compression quality chosen/by default while ordering them in spritesheets.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:01 pm

@Kyatric

C2 does a pretty good job at dithering when exporting as 8 bit png's.

However, PNGoo uses a different algorithm to dither down the colors. In some cases, it is superior to the lib used by C2 (pngcrush).

I think TinyPNG uses the same algo as PNGoo.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Return to Construct 2 General