Hero sprite hanging on a cliff :)

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi all,

I experiment my way into construct and try a few jump-n-run moves. What I want to do is:
If I press the up-arrow, the hero should jump only in Y direction and if he can grab the edge of platform or something he should hang there (like the first Prince of Presia game or Flashback).
My main problem is, that I want to use the platform behaviour so I don't have to bother about falling through the floor, running through walls, calculating gavity etc. and if I want my hero to hang on to something, then he gets automatically pushed away if that makes sense.
I first thought I could make the platforms not solid but platforms instead but I don't want the player to jump through them from below. I then thought perhaps I have to use solids an only make the small grabable edges as a platform but this seems a little strange to me or isn't it?

Thanks for any advice!
B
G

Post » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

That all didn't make sense (at least not for me).
But I made something...
http://www.box.net/shared/4n2sv5ey4k
You can hang there on two kind of edges. There are other ways of doing that, but I found these working.
I usually use collision boxes(like the small purple ones) for this kind of things; like if my character is close to the edge, he/she might lose balance and fall down.

This could also help you:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5316
B
G

Post » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 pm

Here is my simple solution.

http://www.box.net/shared/6o1lcsoodv

You can hold on until you hit space to release
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks so much to both of you. Great community :)
The link is also great, because I also work on a state based platformer but in addition with transitional animation between the states.
B
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic