Hobbyists - How do you make it happen?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:51 pm

I usually take a gameplay idea and prototype it in Construct 2. Then, if it is fun (at least to me), I expand on the idea and game. After several weeks of long labor of tweaking and testing, I upload it on Scirra Arcade and wait for people to say how awful it is. Finally, when everyone hates my new game, I cry for several hours, eat truckloads of bad food, and try a new gameplay idea. And start the whole process over...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:04 pm

@Manley23 the truly behind scene of an indie developer ^^
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:55 am

Haha I agree. Very insightful Manley23 XD
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

I haven't published anything on the Arcade yet, mostly because I want to get the bugs out of my game before anything else. A single quality product is leagues better than several sub-par products. I feel quite a few devs/publishers forget this in today's age of games. This idea drives me to make my game as polished and functional as possible, even if it takes a long time.
B

Post » Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 pm

[QUOTE=RezonAce] I haven't published anything on the Arcade yet, mostly because I want to get the bugs out of my game before anything else. A single quality product is leagues better than several sub-par products. I feel quite a few devs/publishers forget this in today's age of games. This idea drives me to make my game as polished and functional as possible, even if it takes a long time.[/QUOTE]

I know about people who never released their games, also, never earned the experience of hearing feedbacks from the players.

A good idea necessarily need to trail the penitence of beta testers, and not only from the developer, or, you'll be risking your entire job in something unusual from the actual days, where people like the games by different things than Our Gold age.

Personally, I think the best way to polish something is hearing who will buy your idea, who will play your game. What happen if you make a perfect game where nobody cares, because they don't like one single thing inside the game?

This is a good point for a new Topic =]
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 13, 2013 10:28 am

hmm I also .. only thinks about making game but I myself not satisfied with my IDEA.:( then i think for another game:)..

and whenever i found a good idea i thinks hoe will i make it and ...:) idea drop:D.
B
S

Post » Tue May 14, 2013 12:12 am

Make sand boxes and test scenarios if you want to keep your momentum and still get feedback. Make a test layout that lets you explore your different jumping mechanics, etc... allow others to test that one piece while you continue to work. You don't have to show your whole game at once. Testing specific mechanics and scenarios can also help during development.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 9:40 am

@BluePhaze Thank you for bringing that up. I've always felt the need to get feedback on one aspect, tiny or huge, of my game while work on other parts of it, but often my ego (and partly, not wanting to spam the community) would prevent me from showing any mediocre, unfinished items to anyone. Partial feedback definitely helps on the way if I can get over with the shyness, and I know this community is more than just being nice with everyone.

Just want to get this out there in case there's anyone with the same problem like me!
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 6:34 pm

@Manley23
thats funny..
hope after pentapuzzle your not on bad food?
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 20, 2013 1:45 am

@BluePhaze,

That's great advice. So many games get posted where designers have put weeks or months of love and work into them, but then something, maybe even just a little thing like how fast a character accelerates, doesn't feel quite right and the gameplay is frustrating instead of rewarding. It would be easy to post small mockups using rough graphics to test things like that before undoing them would become onerous.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas