Hobbyists - How do you make it happen?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:31 pm

Well I normally get an Idea do some art music then spend ages tweaking .
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:22 pm

I usually come up with a character and decide what type of game genre that character might fit into. Where I have gone wrong is getting carried away with the graphics and levels! Then the game mechanics are an after-thought!

This is BAD! because it might look great but it doesnt play well.
Like making animation if the story sucks and the graphics look great the story still sucks! The hardest thing is keeping it simple. Simple ideas make addictive games!

Its a real trial and error process to start with. Keep plugging away though and something will stick! It helps if youre passionate about the game idea you have. I normally feel that way if I like my initial character. Game mechanics take the most time though, so be prepared!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Another good thing to do is keep the art and gameplay separate in the beginning stages. This allows you to focus on getting the gameplay mechanics down. I make a couple of projects first. One to figure out all my gameplay mechanics with simple square graphics or placeholders. And one to test that the sprites and animations look good in motion, etc... These are simply the pre-stages for building my game. I then create an actual main game project once I have the other pieces done the way I want them to work. And I put it all together in the main project. The other benefit to this is those base projects with the gameplay mechanics, etc... can be used as the basis for other games as well when in this stage of development.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:44 am

Whenever I want to start something, I always keep it on paper. Having something tangible that you can access anytime and everywhere keeps your ideas from falling out. Doodling's awesome, and it helps organize your thoughts better.

I often carry a small pocket notebook and a pen in case I have a wicked idea anywhere. It helps a lot.

A sketchbook's not bad either, if you're staying home most of the time.
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:10 pm

I just do what I want to do. I also have to make sure I can do it and am patient enough to keep going on.
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 pm

zepolleon wrote:Whenever I want to start something, I always keep it on paper. Having something tangible that you can access anytime and everywhere keeps your ideas from falling out. Doodling's awesome, and it helps organize your thoughts better.

I often carry a small pocket notebook and a pen in case I have a wicked idea anywhere. It helps a lot.

A sketchbook's not bad either, if you're staying home most of the time.

When I'm at home I'm probably to bored to come up with ideas.
B
S

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:47 am

1. 32 Years old with a family, not enjoying my day job: work too hard, too little pay, little prospects for stability/future.
2. Decide to have an attempt at a career in making games, something I've always dreamt of since I was a teen.
3. Quit job!
4. Start being an indie dev full-time (over-time)!

All this and my old career was as a research scientist (postdoctoral), have not drawn anything since my highschool years (once I used to be an avid comics fan), and my last attempt at programming was also in highschool with visual basics and C+.

Do or do not, there is no try!

ps. Currently it's: work even harder, for no pay and little prospect for stability/future! :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:43 pm

I... haven't made any games in quite a while. Been busy with other projects. Now that Construct 2 is shaping up so nicely, it's nigh time to put forth my numerous ideas into some semblance as prototypes.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:01 pm

Many interesting thoughts and ideas around. I guess everybody has his own approach to the developing stages. For me I first get an idea of a game, start writing the game out on paper, sketching a long. And then I do everything the way I feel. Start drawing and animating my sprites, think about the coding and how I want to achieve certain tasks. So far I finished one game and now I am working on 2 at the same time..... a third is already written down and my little black book gets filled with ideas. The only thing I am short off is time ;-)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Personally, I'm finding that it takes a lot of long hard hours. You have to make something that looks good and pops. Also, if you're currently unemployed, it helps free up the time you need to develop. But it gets harder to do the hungrier you get, lol.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas