Hobbyists - How do you make it happen?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 am

I have an idea, I might write it down or make some art, maybe even start making it. And then.... I move on to something else and never touch the idea again.
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Firstly, I used C2 in December 2012 to seek what I can do with it. Then, I have learned more from this engine and make great games with it.
Stay tuned on SONAR Games at Twitter and SONAR Games at Facebook for daily updates!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:14 pm

As I am a designer these ideas comes on my mind while designing any new Game app .
B

Post » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Here's my process.
1. When I should be focusing on something else, I come up with a "brilliant" idea for a game or program.
2. I get in notes on my phone and type out everything I see in my head.
3. I speak it out loud. If it sounds like garbage, it probably is.
4. I see if it would be feasible to make. If the answer is no, you're probably wrong. There's not much a programmer can't do. You might just have to learn some new skills.
5. I get on Google Docs and plan it out in greater detail. The rule is, if you don't write it down the second you think of it, it is almost definitely NOT going to make it into your final product.
6. I pitch the idea to my friends. If they're interested, I make my Google Doc public and send them to the link.
7. I head into Eclipse for Java or Notepad++ for Php or Construct 2 and make it happen.

Rarely do my ideas ever come from just tinkering.
B

Post » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:08 pm

For me the proces of creating a game from start to finish is unique for each game.
looking back however there is a mayor path im on.
I have 7 game prototype's: 4 small, 2 medium 1 large production.
The medium ones are waiting for my new skills in creating a good level editor.
The small ones i work on when i need a break from the medium or large productions.
They keep the flow of logic assessment and creation stimulation going.
Also they have the role of keeping the (i have finished this game) in check.
As working on large games takes a lot of time, it is key to stimulate finishing a production.
The small games help me with that.
In the large games all current aquired knowledge snaps into place so that game sets the tempo of my doings.
When i however come to a halt because that game needs more logic/creation value then i can offer at that moment, then i swich to one of the less complicated games.

This is how it works for me, and when i stumble uppon a great game idea the first thing i do is check how long it would probably take me to create it so i can calculate the future outcome.
understanding if a game is fun or not goes in that same proces.
When the game fits into my personal future profile, i accept it and build a prototype, and so forth.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am

I start with an idea, and then flesh it out in a series of Notepad documents, with one for each category (game-play, audio, AI, GUI, polish). I then start to create basic assets for use in the first stage of development, which is 'blocking in' game elements and starting the fundamental game-play code. I then split the game-play code into several event sheets, Global, Movement, Combat AI, Audio, etc, and have Global include them all so that each layout only requires including the Global event sheet.

Whenever I feel like my patience in one area is being assaulted to the point of insanity, I move to working on another category so the game keeps being developed, but sanity is retained. While developing, when pondering on ways to do certain things, I'll put any good ideas in as comments at the top of the Global event sheet for looking into.
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 pm

I just smash my head against the keyboard and hope something comes out. Usually it does...
B
S

Post » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:48 pm

My Main Occupation is Actually Motion Graphics and 3D animation so I just started construct 2 around 2 months ago and really got me into it. I actually started with a template and the game outgrew by itself. I designed the characters applied it to the template and ofcourse changed the gameplay and added extras with the help of great tutorials in "Scirra Site" and the game is finished. But if you ask me it is best to design the characters and the game + Game Logic first. so you have a better route just like storyboards when shooting a film. I think during the process I always thought what else I can get into the game. ( I didn't do too much but still I am happy with the results)
B
S

Post » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:39 am

Come up with an idea you can build on incrementally, that doesn't require a huge upfront investment of your time. That way you can build on your project in a natural way that budgets your time properly rather than have to make a huge upfront investment of time with little promise of return.

As an example, telling yourself you're going to write your engine from the ground up gives you a mountain to climb before you can start doing anything, find ways to get past mountains by going around or through them rather than over them. Using construct in the first place is a big step in the right direction!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:51 am

Im a big one for the notebook in my pocket method,but at the end of the day i could burn all my design docs in rage. After so many prototypes have been layed out, the notebook goes away, and the focus for one project comes back.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas