Honey Rose: Underdog Fighter Extraordinaire

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:24 am

Hello everyone!

I'm posting this topic to celebrate the release of my game, Honey Rose UFE, a life-management simulation presented as a visual novel, with beat'em up bits.

I'll let the trailers do the explaining:

https://youtu.be/aXY0C8HwEhE
https://youtu.be/c9ndJ_-35JI

The game itself is available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/523680 , itch.io: https://pehesse.itch.io/honey-rose-ufe and its own site: http://pehesse.fr/honey/en/get-the-game/ , using a "Pay-what-you-liked" model. For all information on that, please check the "Get the Game" page on the main site!

You'll also find the game's manual here: http://pehesse.fr/honey/access/Honey_DigitalManual.pdf

All in all, I wanted to praise Construct 2 for being what it is, as it's the only engine I can properly work with, and that manages to hold such a game together!

If you end up playing it, I'd love to hear your thoughts below!

B
S

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:31 am

Oh wow, this is most impressive! Haven't played yet, certainly will, but some questions off the bat:
did you build this all on your own or with a team? How long did it take and did you work on it full-time?
I'm guessing you have a history with professional animation or art at least?

Congrats on pulling this off, really great achievement!
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:10 am

facecrime wrote:Oh wow, this is most impressive! Haven't played yet, certainly will, but some questions off the bat:
did you build this all on your own or with a team? How long did it take and did you work on it full-time?
I'm guessing you have a history with professional animation or art at least?

Congrats on pulling this off, really great achievement!

Hey! Thanks a lot! If you do play, be sure to tell me what you think, I'd love to hear your feedback!

I did build the "game" game parts on my own (art, script, design, sound effects, etc), but the soundtrack is done by Morusque, and the Steam integration was done with lots of help from Mad_Spy.

It took me close to three years: I started working on it in november 2013. If you're interested in the development history, I wrote a post about it here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/honey-rose ... honey-rose (and the development itself has been logged on TIGsource and tumblr, among other places). I worked full time most of the time - I tried taking commissions in parallel to sustain some form of income, but it was too low and the work too time consuming, in the end, I decided to bet what I had.

I do have an art background, but I never worked on animation on any kind of professional capacity before this project, in fact the whole reason I made it in the first place was to practice animating characters! I'm very glad it seems to have gone somewhere, and my aim is to make good use of everything I've learned in my next project, an action-platformer that'll use Construct 2 as well, I just love that engine! :-D
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:51 pm

Crazy impressive, Pehesse! Like, seriously. I've always struggled with consistency in my art, so it amazes me when someone is able to draw like you do.

I'm interested to know how well your pricing method works too. Looking forward to what you work on next! :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:18 pm

Arima wrote:Crazy impressive, Pehesse! Like, seriously. I've always struggled with consistency in my art, so it amazes me when someone is able to draw like you do.

I'm interested to know how well your pricing method works too. Looking forward to what you work on next! :)

Thanks a lot, Arima! From the sound of it, quite a few people are keeping an eye on the pricing method, so I'm very much hoping it won't fail too badly - this could be a good opportunity to offer an alternative model otherwise, if it proves to be viable! I'm hoping players will seize the opportunity... and the game will prove good/interesting enough to make them want to support it in the first place :-)
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:35 pm

I just read about this game on Kotaku earlier today, had no idea it was made in Construct 2! Really nice. Congrats on the release!

I have a question - why did you pick this "pay what you like" business model? I'd also love to read more about it and how it worked out for you on Gamasutra someday if you're willing to write a post mortem.

Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:30 am

andreyin wrote:I just read about this game on Kotaku earlier today, had no idea it was made in Construct 2! Really nice. Congrats on the release!

I have a question - why did you pick this "pay what you like" business model? I'd also love to read more about it and how it worked out for you on Gamasutra someday if you're willing to write a post mortem.

Cheers!

Thank you very much :-) Indeed, I'm a Construct 2 user, and I don't really see myself use anything else, at least not in the short-to-mid term future!

I chose the "pay-what-you-liked", because I believe today's market to be oversaturated, and the current pricing model to lose meaning because of said saturation and the over-reliance on sales and bundles. If I were to price the game low, it'd be disregarded as crapware (and not played), if I were to price it high it'd be regarded as greedy (and not played), and if I were to price it "just right", people would wait for a sale (and hence, not play it). Since my primary aim is for people to play the game... I thought taking another approach would help, and it seems to be doing just that :-D

I'd love to write a post-mortem about this whole approach and what it led to - hopefully, good news, though even failure would be an interest case study, we'll see how it all turns out!
B
S

Post » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:49 am

@Pehesse

Wow ! Probably the best best thing I have ever seen made with Construct 2 (or 1)
:D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:20 pm

chrisbrobs wrote:@Pehesse

Wow ! Probably the best best thing I have ever seen made with Construct 2 (or 1)
:D

That's, like... such high praise! Thank you so much, even though I'm sure many people already have done awesome stuff with it, and will keep doing so (starting with Klang, released very recently too!)
B
S

Post » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 am

I just tried the steam version but it would not launch unless I installed it to the C drive, perhaps you know something about that?

I played a little of the web version and it seems pretty nice.

EDIT: got this in the debug.log on the D drive

[1119/094107:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(53)] CreateFile: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable. (0x2)
[1119/094150:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(53)] CreateFile: Le fichier spécifié est introuvable. (0x2)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Completed Creations