Host games

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 am

Any server that you can upload a html file to would be fine. Every web server would be capable of doing this.

Once you've exported your project, all you'd need to do is to upload that folder to the web server, and then it should just run.

Also have you figured out why dropbox wasn't working? If you follow the tutorial to the letter there's no reason it won't work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:32 am

I guess since this was resurrected I can post my problem here.

The other day, I made a post stating that my project, once uploaded to my server, it won't work properly. The project works perfectly in C2 and when exported and run from my computer. But once I upload it to my server, the project loads... but it behaves erratically, and songs do not play. This project is intended as a library of my future game's OST... music files are OGG Vorbis. Folders and files name are completely untouched. I just drop the folder in the server the way it was exported by C2... The errors range from, music not playing to the actual events just stop working. I have no idea what it could be.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:14 pm

If it's a Linux server check your folder chmod settings. Set to 777. If Windows server set to (M).

If that doesn't help, I'll think up something else.droptank212011-10-19 13:23:28
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm

Dropbox should work fine - just make sure all the files are uploaded in the same folders, in the public folder, and it should work OK. Link us to your game on Dropbox if it's not working and maybe we can see what's gone wrong.

Another new alternative is you can try publishing to the Chrome web store - if it's under 10mb you can make a Packaged App which is hosted on the Chrome Web Store itself.

@VampyricalCurse, can you also link to the uploaded project so we can take a look?

Here are some tips to make sure it's working:
1) Press Ctrl+Shift+J in most browsers (F12 in IE) and check the Console for any error messages. You might get something like "GET soundeffect.ogg failed", which means the file soundeffect.ogg is probably missing.
2) Make sure your server is set up to serve the following MIME types:
.ogg - audio/ogg
.m4a - audio/mp4
.appcache - text/cache-manifest
By default servers do not serve files with extensions they don't recognise. So if your server is not set up right, you'll get 404 Not Found even if you directly visit the URL of one of the .ogg or .m4a files you uploaded. (Visiting the URL directly is actually a good way to test this.) This would explain why no audio plays after uploading.

Please always link us to the project you've uploaded if you're having trouble though - we can poke around and test these things ourselves, but we're stuck guessing if you don't give us the URL.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm going to try it with Dropbox now, you said I'd have to put every file in the same folder, do you mean that literally or do I still have to create a sub-folder "images" for the sprites?

edit- nevermind, I created the sub-folder "images" and it worked. I feel so dumb, I've had dropbox since 2009 and I never knew that to make the files public I had to put them in the "public" folder, I always searched for that "Copy public link" option and never found it..

Thanks!andreyin2011-10-19 16:12:15
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:28 pm

How about www.mediafire.com?

I like how they remember you next time you visit there mediafire again.
Your upload files will be get into one page.
B
G

Post » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:56 pm

Well mediafire will make you download a file.

Hosting a C2 game requires to give access to the media files and several .JS files.
Putting all your project on dropbox and giving the public link to the html file allows you to play directly the game. Mediafire propose no such service.

Moreover, for a little file, like a capx, you have to go to a mediafire page and click a download link.
With dropbox, you simply give a link and it directly downloads the file with no further clicks or page loading.

So for hosting games DropBox > Mediafire.
For hosting capx DropBox > Mediafire.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:41 am

@Ashley, link to the project. Sorry I thought I did. =\

The first three songs are the ones that work, the ones that have names. Click the play button and it will change to stop button, click again and it will change back to play, click yet again and nothing will happen.

Number on top corner is the variable that makes button change states.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:30 pm

[QUOTE=imissu2] How about www.mediafire.com?[/QUOTE]
I really hate mediafire, please don't use it. They throw loads of adverts at you and make you wait for the download. Dropbox don't show any adverts and you can download without waiting. So please use Dropbox instead, it's much better!

@VampyricalCurse: I open the page and press Ctrl+Shift+J. First error listed is:
[quote]Application Cache Error event: Invalid manifest mime type (text/plain) http://www.dsc.squareserve.org/Player/offline.appcache[/quote]
So first of all your server is serving offline.appcache with the MIME type text/plain - it should be text/cache-manifest for the offline feature to work properly. However, it shouldn't affect the audio.

By poking around in c2runtime.js, it looks like one of your audio files is:
http://www.dsc.squareserve.org/Player/media/Goblins%20Marching%20in.ogg
This is a 404 so won't play (if I got the URL right). Have you set up the MIME types properly as I described in my last post?Ashley2011-10-20 14:31:24
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 am

[QUOTE]
So first of all your server is serving offline.appcache with the MIME type text/plain - it should be text/cache-manifest for the offline feature to work properly. However, it shouldn't affect the audio.[/quote]

@Ashley, okay, I checked the MIME types and I cannot see text/cache anywhere. Here's a pic of it.

So I think I should add text/cache?

[quote]By poking around in c2runtime.js, it looks like one of your audio files is:
http://www.dsc.squareserve.org/Player/media/Goblins%20Marching%20in.ogg
This is a 404 so won't play (if I got the URL right). Have you set up the MIME types properly as I described in my last post?[/QUOTE]

This is odd indeed. The link you gave to the audio seems to be correct, but it does give a 404 error. However, I noticed that in my server, that link doesn ot have capitals, only lower case, and it does work [link]. About the ogg MIME type, I think it is correct?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General