Hosting requirements?

Ideas and discussion about publishing and distributing your games

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:34 pm

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother posting questions.....
Phase 1: Collect Underpants.
Phase 2: ????
Phase 3: Profit!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:18 pm

miketv wrote:Noob question: what's the deal with PHP? Is it important to games?

Sorry for missing your question.

PHP helps with website design. I use it for my website to insert links at the bottom of a page, it's better than iframes. Some tutorials on scirra even mention php to store high scores.

I only suggested vlexofree because I had a good experience with the administration they have. It's very high quality for a free website. Pair it with a short domain and cloudflare (free CDN), and you'd have half decent bandwidth.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 pm

miketv wrote:Noob question: what's the deal with PHP? Is it important to games?

I'll try and give the Cliff Notes answer for this -

First off I don't know what ryackov meant when he said not many hosts support PHP, I've never seen a host that doesn't; there's the odd one the wont let you use some PHP functions, but these are just guys in their garage; any decent webhost has PHP.

As to what PHP is, well there's two types of websites, static and dynamic; static sites are exclusively written in HTML, and dynamic sites use PHP. The most common use of PHP is to either retrieve or submit information to a database server; and the most prevalent example of this e-mail forms.

As for whether you need it, you will, but I wouldn't bother looking for it, everywhere will offer it.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Distribution and Publishing