How and how much do you pay to your artists?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:03 am

It sounds like your partner is just getting out of school and doesn't have much experience yet. Typically, artists in that position can expect to be making around $15-$20/hour doing freelance jobs (as its super hard to get a job in art straight out of school, or at all). I'd suggest that (or possibly lower) as a payment base for your situation, especially since they are also receiving a stake in the project's profits.

Personally though, my partner does all of the graphics and we share a 50/50 split (I handle programming, music, and marketing, he handles graphics, writing, doing the bug testing, and advertising). That ends up being $25-$45/hour on average depending on the project.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

A freelance artist ususally starts at $25 and up, anything below that number and you are probably with a newbie artist or someone who really wants to compete with the old guys, in short never a good idea to devalue your work...
You should look into royalties, advances + splitting works(%), if you gave her an advance, then she will probably not get any money from the beginning - when the game is published, until you earn at least that amount back...

It's basic negotiating...EatCreatures2013-04-16 08:51:10
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:40 am

As a hint. You as the programmer. Your time is of worth value to. While there seems to be more programmers than artists. This does not mean your time is worth nothing. Don't devalue yourself.

Draw your contract and stick to it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Rabidsheep and EatCreatures,
Thanks for your examples. That's exactly what i was looking for.
So we have a $15-20-25 up to $70 with or without further sharing.
I decided (with my partnert agreetment) something like EatCreatures said. I pay her for her work based on the complexity of the art needed. Since we are both partners in the enterprise we will go 50-50 as planed and for my personal decision as i said before.

Seeing your examples of payment per hour and resuming the total amount of artwork needed we agreed in a monthly fee for x months until the job is done. For that fee my partner do any art needed. So far i'm happy, she is happy and we keep motivated each on it side of the project.

We will use this first project as a test for every detail and for the second project we will rework our contract with the best solution we found at that point. In the end we are close friends.

Keep sharing your thoughts about this, could help people in my position!

Thanks to everyone for your help! ;)

PD: Running a hosting company i will broke a golden rule and posted this in the middle of a server migration. Was lost into oblivion of course so i posted today again.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Let's put it this way, she's just out of "school" and needs something to show off her work. Your game is that something.

If she's 50/50 in the business, then she shouldn't be taking anything more from you. Yes, it's nice to be able to pay someone for their work, but let's be real. If, by the end of the game you paid her $1000 for her work (purely an example), and the game makes $1000. She's made $1500 and you made -$500. How's that fair? ;) If she takes money for work done, then her share should drop. You need to be paid for your work too!

Sounds like she's only doing the graphics, whereas you're doing the coding, the website, the marketing etc.

Also remember, she'll be able to use your game in her portfolio to get more work so it's more beneficial to her.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:07 pm

Procrastinator,
I know there's a "unfair" share here. It's personal matter only for this first project and only with her because i try to help her impulse her career with a project that, as you said, she can show in her portfolio.
In this, and only this, first project i play a little like santa. So i can keep this 50/50 and also pay a reasonable amout of money for her work. Just to make it as some sort of safety net if anything goes wrong at relase times.
My question is how much is good enough to pay for an artist work and what methods of payment worked better for all of you. But forget the end shares in the equation.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm

If this is more of a token gesture, then I would keep it simple.

Approach her with the amount of work you will need to finish the game,
decide how many hours work it will take for 100% of all the artwork required to be completed, add this up at $25.00 an hour, for the total to be payed...

Ask yourself is that reasonable value...

If so, pay in segments on work completed ie full tileset 30%,full characters and animations 50% ,full menus and GUI 10%...that way you will only pay when you receive and the motivation is still there for her to complete.

Stick to it and don't get soft, there is nothing like people to mess up your day... Pixel perfick2013-04-22 14:10:58
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Pixel Perfick,
I really liked your method there. I will take it as a reference for this and also future projects. I don't know why i cannot solve this kind of problems. In others bussiness i always had my tricks and solutions to "manage" payments. I guess it's because this line of work is new and a partner of two with my added "protection" of interest throws conventional methods out the window.

I consider myself satisfied with all your help people! As i said before, keep showing more of this for anybody else in my same position.

Regards and thanks to all of you! ;)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:06 am

Yeah nothing wrong with helping a friend out. As has been mentioned, don't devalue your own work in the process.

Pixel perfick's suggestion is a decent one. Just don't overpay!

Good luck though. Hope it makes you a vast amount of money ;)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic