how can develpers protect their assets outside Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:02 am

newt wrote:Yeah clones are really the only thing you have to worry about, but you have to take into account that that only really affects the mobile/ casual market.
Cloners stealing from cash grabbers. Rather poetic actually.

Asset theft and resale isn't really a thing, at least not not in the free world, or to anyone with even a modest notion of how the law works.

Game of War is a Clash of Clan clone (like many others), and now its doing even better than Clash.

Basically there's no copyright on gameplay or game mechanics, if you make something novel and awesome, clones come, and its a new genre.

IF people bother to clone your work, that's when you've already made it to the big time, so its the least of your concerns.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:46 am

Welp, I guess these are all my answers.
B

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Thought some sort of compiling assets option should be available in c3 i hope.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:18 pm

I agree with @Silverforce and some others.
There's nothing you can do to prevent your assets to be stolen.
I'm also not sure how one would create an EULA with online games (where to display).
And don't bother clones because they happen like a plague.
Play has literally thousands of the same re-skinned game over and over again it's overwhelming.
But from my experience as a player, not every clone can copy the same game play elements and flow.
B
S

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:19 pm

@Jeebroniz I had the same concern about that package file that can be easily extracted by anyone.
I found a simple solution in another thread :

https://www.scirra.com/forum/how-do-i-avoid-have-a-package-nw-file-on-distribution_t118694

Frozenen proposes this:
"just merge the .exe and package. Open a CMD prompt:
copy /b yourgame.exe+package.nw newname.exe
be sure to put .exe first then package."

It's simple and it works. That's enough for me to avoid any 'noob' to unzip my assets. :)

Of course, if someone really wants to steal your assets, there's nothing you can do.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:33 pm

I would recommend using Inno Setup. It will compile your nw.js project into one installation executable (so the game can be installed on your system) and is impervious to amateur opening attempts (like using 7-zip). Nothing is totally secure, but this is a good and free alternative to zipping up your nw project, IMO.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 pm

wow thanks alot everyone, I wasnt expecting the extra info.
B

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General